Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iDrive

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by ddgrandy, Jul 19, 2016.

ddgrandy

My 2006 325i needs a new iDrive, any suggestions for where I could find one used? I have 166K miles and I'm not sure it's worth putting a new one in, thoughts? I live in MD but could also purchase online.

Thanks

MGarrison

Parts dismantlers (I think there's a couple that advertise in the Roundel), ebay, or, trying something like searchtempest for a comprehensive craigslist search (even at that, there may be issues of compatibility or being able to 'code' it for your car. As for how essential it is, depends on what all it controls. If, for instance, you can't do basic things w/ the climate control system like change fan speeds and direct hot or cold air to upper, dash, or footwell vents, then having it non-functional might be too much of a nuisance to bear. I don't have a car w/ iDrive, so I don't know the depth of it's controls. Me, if I could get by without it, I wouldn't bother with that particular repair expense.

charlson89

Try bavarian recyclers but you could run into the same issue again with used parts.

ddgrandy

It's the navigation, radio and things like the oil control although I can check that on the dash though the hand controls. It's really more of a nuisance of course the dealer cost will run close to 2k, they indicate they would install a used one for me with no liability to them of course. I've been looking pretty much all over the place tough to find a used unit

ddgrandy

nothing listed on the site will have to call. thanks