Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gear Selector Light

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bl335i08, Jun 27, 2008.

bl335i08 guest

Hi all, I am new to this forum and also to BMWs. I must say that I love driving my 335i. :D
    This might be a stupid question; but is the Park light in the gear selector area supposed to be on after engine has been cut off, and after Start/Stop button light has been timed out? This isn't a problem or anything, but I was wondering if this was true in all BMWs. Good to be here.

az3579

I don't know how it is on new BMWs, but most cars don't actually use a light but instead a little piece of colored plastic inside there that moves with the gear selector. I remember sitting inside a new 135i with an auto tranny and saw that this "light" you speak of looks dangerously close to the plastic piece that most other automatic cars have. If this is the case, then it's not a light and there's nothing to worry about.

I looked on eBay motors and look at the pics of the cars that had the engine off when the pictures were taken. This square next to the Park section was still colored, so I assume it's a piece of colored plastic.

bl335i08 guest

Thank you for the reply. I feel better now. still think it's a LED, because it was very dark out. Maybe it glows at night. I am not gonna worry about it. Thanks alot for the info. :)

az3579

Does it glow when the lights are off? If it does, then you are probably right about it being an LED...

But even if it is, an LED can't possibly run down a car battery. It just doesn't consume enough to drain it. I would think that's really cool if the LED stayed on when the lights are off, but I wouldn't be driving an automatic in the first place, so I wouldn't have that cool feature. lol

I like LED's and lighting, just for reference. :)

bl335i08 guest

Yes it does glow with lights out and the engine off, and the doors locked. I just never noticed it until the other night. No automatic tranny for you, huh? Well I guess I am not a purist like you... but good for you. I was reading about troublesome high pressure fuel pumps in late model 335i's, what a nightmare. Hope it doesn't happen to mine. Cheers!

az3579

I actually think you'd be better off if it did happen to you. That way, you get a brand new fuel pump covered under warranty. :)

And don't get me wrong 'bout the auto; I'd still take a brand new 335i auto if it was offered to me. :D

eggbone guest

This is standard for the AT. I.m not sure how long it remains on(several minutes at least), and it also comes on when the doors are unlocked.

niemibl guest

Welcome to the forum. Where is the bike race in the photo? How did you do?

eggbone guest

Not a race. Just out for a cruise, just south of Reno, NV.

bl335i08 guest

Thank you all for replies. That picture is from this year's Tour of California, I think. I wish I were a pro.

Mojo335i guest

I'm glad I found this forum. I bought my '08 335i sedan a month ago and I also noticed the same thing with the light remaing on. Nice to to know I wasn't alone in my wondering :D.