Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need Advice on e90 335xi all wheel drive system and turbos

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ahoffman, Feb 23, 2016.

ahoffman

Greetings to Everyone. My '02 325xi in pristine condition was just rear-ended and is a total loss.
    I live in New England and am looking at e90 335xi as a next purchase. However, I do want to track the car. Can anyone share info about X-drive on the track? Do they hold up? Also, I've heard the turbos on the e90 335xi can be problematic. Thanks for sharing any info.

charlson89

If you have a N54 engine I will tell you at some time you will have turbo problems maybe in the extended warranty or outside of it. The xdrive system on the track from what I have heard seems to be ok. I would say though since it does add the stress to the system on the track more frequent fluid changes of the transfer case and diff's would be a good idea.

ahoffman

Thanks for your response. Do you think I'm better off with a 330xi and Dinan tuning than the N54?

charlson89

That really depends on what your looking for in your vehicle. The power and response from the N54 will be much better than the N52 even with dinan tuning. The n52 is a less complex engine so it will save your but it does have it's own problems with gaskets leaking and electric water pump. The n54 does have a lot of extended warranties on parts like turbos, high pressure fuel pump, injectors.

ahoffman

Thanks very much for your comments and input!! I've decided to go the M3 route. Pretty familiar with the e46, but not so with e90. Have you heard anything bad about the V8? I'm leaning towards a 2009 four door (for daily driving and track fun) with DCT (have some leg issues; ruled out e46 SMG though).

charlson89

The e90 M3 is really a solid vehicle haven't had to many issues with them. Just make sure you keep up on the maintenance on the M cars keeps from expensive repairs.

ahoffman

Just want to thank you again for your help and advise. I purchased a 2011 M3 sedan with Performance, Premium and Competition packages; paddle shifters too. Went with DCT due to some recent leg issues, and love it!

charlson89

Glad to hear that, and kinda jealous to! ;)