Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help? Should I keep or get rid off?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ddgrandy, Feb 18, 2016.

ddgrandy

Ok I could really use some honest advice here goes.

I have a 2006 325i with 161k miles (manual transmission) For the past couple of months, I've replaced the belts, replaced the water pump, new battery, replaced oil pan gasket etc., etc., basically I've spent approximately 4k in repairs in just a couple of months.

Now the radio which is basically the brains of the car, (no dipstick) apparently needs to be replaced, I appreciate the advice about greasing possible corroded lines., except I'm not a do-it-yourselfer I don't mind doing stuff but getting inside the console sounds like a painstaking ordeal and I'm just not the patient kind.

My question?? At this stage it sounds like replacing the radio is going to be expensive over a 1K should I keep this car, or is it time to get rid of it?? I love my bimmer, especially now it's broken in the newer cars are nice but to me not built as ruggedly as the older cars and unless I can get another 6 speed then I'm looking at something else. To me, a true sports car has to be a manual and not an automatic.

So please at a 161k miles and having spent over 4k in previous repairs should I keep going or should I stop??

Thanks

charlson89

Well this is a question I hear quite a bit. No one can personally say what is best for your situation. My view is you have had a streak of really bad luck. All the items you have mentioned a common issues with your vehicle. Normally these will fail over a longer stretch thus making a expensive couple of months which normally the expense would be spread out more. I will tell you that the N52 engine you have is a good engine and I have seen them at 250k before and running fine. You do have the first year for it so of course with anything new you will have bugs and issues that would need tending to. Since you have a manual the transmission itself if serviced properly will last quite some time. It's always nice to have a new car of course but then you have payments to deal with. You could look for something a little newer since your vehicle ran production until 2011 so you could trade up to a newer version of your same vehicle. Hope that helps and good luck.
    mrglock likes this.

ddgrandy

I think you're right I feel the car is solid and if I can get pass this "stuff' it should last at least another 100k miles and absolutely it's nice not having a car note. I did some digging and it's the iDrive that's malfunctioning. I'm still waiting for a quote from the dealership but I'm figuring well over a grand but then this is what we ultimately pay for the "ultimate" driving machine.. I just wish it was more affordable to maintain.

thanks for the advice I honestly appreciate it