Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DSC Not Working

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by M3ME, Jun 19, 2008.

M3ME guest

Hey Guys,

As I was leaving work yesterday in my 00' 328CI, I noticed my parking brake light remain on even after I released the brake, a minute later my DSC light came on. I know from the manual that when both of these lights are on at the same time my DSC is not working. As far as I know there is a sensor for the DSC on each wheel:confused:
    My questions are
    1. where are the sensors located?
    2. how do I determin which one is defective?
    3. Is it even an easy fix?
    or 4. Am I completely off base?
    Any help or guidance would be appreciated :)

johnh

The DSC uses the ABS sensors, located on the inside of each wheel brake baking plate or thereabouts. Also there's a steering angle sensor on the column under the instrument panel. A BMW or aftermarket code reader will probably show error codes for the problem.

M3ME guest

Thanks John, Are you aware of how to fix the problem, or do you reccomend that a shop perform the fix?

johnh

You can't fix it until you know what's wrong. I suppose you could inspect the wheel sensors for obvious dirt and clean them up for a try. But to be sure, you'll need a scanner to tell you if it's a faulty sensor, which sensor, or if it's another problem. Perhaps this is best left to the pros with proper equipment - an independent shop that specializes in bmws would be my choice.

Gumby74 guest

I would love to hear anything you find on this as I am having the exact same problem. Doesn't happen very often but is the same. I notice that it is always at startup and goes away if I restart the car about 5 minutes after it happens. The interesting thing is it is the same year and model as well.

M3ME guest

Gumby, \
    Sorry about the late reply. I will keep you updated as far as what I found out. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet. just curious, you said your lights go out after a while of driving?

Gumby74 guest

Yea they usually go away after a few minutes of driving or if its a short trip then they will go out the next time i start it. Always happens in the morning also.

Gumby74 guest

Any update on this? I have notice that mine usually has issues the morning after a heavy rain. It has come on 3 times in the past week.....lots of heavy rains here lately.

EuroWerkz1

DSC off and not working

In most cases this is a pulse generator sensor/wheel speed sensor, my very wild guess is it is a front in your case. However, just have the BMW codes read by the dealer or independent shop and that will narrow it down a bunch more. No, it won't be free but this is a not problem you want to just start throwing parts at.

Enjoy:)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

There is the distinct possibility of failing ABS control unit. Very common on these cars, unfortunately. Let us know what you come up with. If it turns out to be the control unit (usually the codes will be for a wheel speed sensor that is actually fine when tested or for an internal valve problem or something) you can send yours to Module Masters to have it repaired. We have done lots of these on VW/Audi and it is the same unit.

GNG623 guest

Yes i have to agree with mooseheadm5 this is very common in these vehicles for these year's. Normally if you can get the code's read it will also show up in the DME ( engine control unit ) so all you need to see if this code has been set is an obd2 code reader.It might also have stored communication problem's interm. Between dsc and dme control unit's, This is the tell tale sign that it is a problem with the dsc c.u internally. there are a couple of good rebuilder's of these c.u.'s. module master's is one of them. I would start there 1st. And if you are unsure of anything take it to someone who know's the system and has the diag. tool's to properly read the code's and test the system. beside's the whell speedsensor's and the dsc c.u.you also have accelleration sensor's installed in the floor board's under the driver's and passenger's seats. Carpet has to be removed to get to them. If it is the dsc c.u. that is faulty, the control unit unbolt's from the back of the hydralic portion of the system. But the hydralic's do not have to be opened at all. The control unit is the black plastic casing on the back of the hydralic's. In the engine compartment on the r/s. Good luck and if you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

GNG623 guest

Yes I have to agree with mooseheadm5 this is very common in these vehicles for these year's. Normally if you can get the code's read it will also show up in the DME ( engine control unit ) so all you need to see if this code has been set is an obd2 code reader.It might also have stored communication problem's interm. Between dsc and dme control unit's, This is the tell tale sign that it is a problem with the dsc c.u internally.There are a couple of good rebuilder's of these c.u.'s. module master's is one of them. I would start there 1st. And if you are unsure of anything take it to someone who know's the system and has the diag. tool's to properly read the code's and test the system. Beside's the wheel speed sensor's and the dsc c.u. you also have accelleration sensor's installed in the floor board's under the driver's and passenger's seats. Carpet has to be removed to get to them. If it is the dsc c.u. that is faulty, the control unit unbolt's from the back of the hydralic portion of the system. But the hydralic's do not have to be opened at all. The control unit is the black plastic casing on the back of the hydralic's. In the engine compartment on the r/s. Good luck and if you need more info don't hesitate to ask.