Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Run Flat Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Shyatt, Mar 6, 2008.

Shyatt guest

I read all over web with the problems related to the orignal equipment run flat tires on late model BMW's. I have a 2006 330i, sports package, that is in need of replacement tires. What kind of experience or recommendations does anyone have on new tire, run flats versus normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

acmebmw guest

Replacement Tires

Shyatt,

I just purchased a set of:

18x8.5 Weds Bavaria II SIL AN LP
    235/40ZR-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season XL

. . .as replacement tires for an '04 330xi from Tire Rack, worked with a guy named "Doc", and had a good experience.

These are not run-flats - I shied away from run-flats because of their reputation for poor ride.

The Eagles are carbon fiber(!), and so far, I love them.

Great balance between ride & handling.

Respectfully,

Scott Pierce
    Westbrook, CT USA

Shyatt guest

Tire Options

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking on tire rack and came up with three (3) tire options (Continetal, Summoto (sp?), Goodyear) and the Goodyears were very highly rated. Maybe the one I go with.

Thanks again

niktee guest

Runflats

One month before I took delivery of my 335i, I purchased a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s. Two days after delivery, I removed the insanely expensive Bridgestone 'flats and installed the Goodyears. They are in every way superior to the runflats. Since I always lease my Bimmers, I placed to original tires in storage, to be placed on the car when I return it at lease-end. This way, I won't be forced to purchase a set of the damn things. By the way, Continental makes a small and portable emergency inflation device that you simply keep in your trunk in the event of a flat. It's also available from Tire Rack.

LET US NOT REST UNTIL THE SCOURGE OF FORCED-USE RUN FLAT TIRES IS ELIMINATED FROM BMW OWNERSHIP!
    Nick

330indy1

good luck with that

BMW is saving too much money leaving out the spare tires/wheels

1947JimzBMW guest

I had run-flats on my 96 Corvette and they made the car feel like an old truck. Went to Goodyear F1's and the change was astoundingly fantastic!!! When I traded in the Vette for a 2006 330i I thought "Oh, no not run-flats again'" But, this time the ride is great and I feel good having a tire that will get me to a repair place or home. So, I don't have a problem with the run-flats on my 2006 BMW but, then again, I've never driven a BMW with regular tires. Jim.

lugnut guest

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

I replaced the Pilot Sports on my E46 M3 with the BFG's above, and found a HUGE improvement in Wet traction, and a much better ride on dry stuff too. road noise also seemed to diminish. On my E92 M3 I still have the Pilot sports on there, but plan on switching them out soon (I normally only get around 12-15k out of the Pilots). Plus, the tread pattern looks good on the BFG's.

I also get them from tire rack, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Shyatt guest

Thanks for the info. I am going with the Goodyear F1's. I read nothing but good things about them.

kkratoch

I have an 06 330i and I asked about the ride with run flats prior to purchasing. I was told that the car was designed to use run flat tires and the suspension was softer than previous to make up for the stiffer sidewall. I don't know it that is true or just some dealer B.S. though.

330indy1

that is true for all new BMWs

with run flat tires that is... the suspensions are designed for the OEM tire match.

Ramdol guest

So what are you saying? While the OEM run flats are part of the suspension design, what price would one pay taking them off and replacing w/Michlens or eagles

xelasmada guest

You'd certainly have lower unsprung weight...that's usually considered a good thing.

Zahnarzt

Same boat here...

I'm in the same 06' 330 (xi) boat here, about ready for a tire change. If I were to switch from the RFTs to regular tires, would a suspension adjustment be something that the dealer could and would do, or do you think they'd laugh at me for asking?

While we're on the subject, I live in pot-hole infested Chicago, and the things are simply unavoidable. On two sets of tires now I've hit potholes that have effectively bent the sidewall, causing it to bubble out. It's hard to get a good picture of this, but take a look at the attached image. If I did not have RFTs, would this have been a blowout? Mind you, I assume it's pothole impact that caused this.

:D Rick

Attached Files:

kkratoch

I hit one so bad in my sidewall split and I had to buy a new tire. I tried to get the municipality to pay but they would not go for it. They said it was because of low profile tires. (225/45/17) About 2 months later they redid that section of the road. Maybe I was not the only one who complained about it.

Zahnarzt

Pursuant to my previous posts on other threads, I have since spoken to Mike at Michelin at length regarding the situation.

I've been sold on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

My initial inquiry regarded deciphering which Pilot Sport PS2s were RFTs and which ones were not. This came after I was shocked and pleased that these tires were available at my local CostCo for a serious chunk of change less than the dealer (duh) and my neighborhood tire place (somewhat surprising). I immediately plugged my car into the web site and saw that some of the PS2s were listed as ZP (zero pressure) and some were not. Thinking this must be a database thing, I poked around Michelin's web site to see if I could put this together and ended up calling instead.

Fact is, the PS2s come in run-flat on my front wheels but NOT on the rear. The rear run-flat version was "under development." This turned out to be a good thing, as I ended up asking a lot of questions. Hmmm... what to do.

I've posted several times before on this forum and the Bimmerfest forum with questions about RFTs that were never really answered fully. In particular, I wasn't sure if the repeated damage sustained each winter from Chicago potholes was kept from blowout by RFTs or not. Each time I was left with a rather sizable bubble in the sidewall of the tire. I thought the RFTs kept this from a blowout, but as it turns out, this would have happened the same way with the same result whether or not the tire was a run-flat. RFTs allow you to drive after a PUNCTURE. This was sidewall damage.

This all boils down to my decision to ditch the RFTs and keep a compressor and a can of goo in the car until I can get a full-size spare. I think one of the Bridgestones I'm taking off my car will do the trick. At first thought, which spare to have might seem tricky considering I have two different sizes of tires front to back on an all-wheel drive car, tread wear, etc., but then this would only be a temporary thing until I got to a tire place.

My $.02.

[IMG] Rick

182364 guest

Run Flats on E90 3 Series

I would recommend you buy Non-Run Flats. I just bought a 335i wwith sport package and 18 inch run flats and do not care for the harsh ride over bumps. I just ordered some 17 inch Kosei K1 Racing Wheels and 225/45/17 Goodyear F1 Asymetrics. They are not on the car yet, but I will try and let you know how they turn out.

You can buy a Tire Repair Kit made by Continental through the Tire Rack for about $79. It includes an air compressor and latex gel to fix your flat temprorarily. Runs off your cigarette lighter. That will give you peace of mind, just in case you have a flat in the midddle of nowhere.

Besides the Goodyears, I recommend Michelin Pilot PS2's or Bridgestone RE-050A Pole Position - Non Run flats. You can read reviews and comparisons of all of these on www.tirerack.com

By the way, I know a guy who likes to race at VIR. He had an E46 330i PP and replaced the 18's with 17" SSC wheels and got good results. He is now running a 335 with Yokohama Advan Neova's I think. Not sure what size.

182364 guest

Agree completely! After taking delivery of a new 335i Sport Package, I detest the ride of the run-flat Bridgestones. I just ordered Goodyear F1 Asymetrics from Tire Rack and plan to order the Protable Flat Repair Kit you mentioned from Tire Rack.

I decided to order lightweight Kosei K1 Racing Wheels, 18 x 8.5 and 225 / 45/ 17 goodyear Asymetrics. The 17" Kosei's save about 10 lbs over the stock BMW 18" alloys and the price is good. Replacement 18's would have cost $936 delivered plus $20-30 per tire for Mounting and Balancing. the 17" Kosei's and Goodyears cost $1423 delivered including mounting and balancing. So, I got new lightweight wheels for less than $ 400.

Like you, I plan to store the run-flats in the garage until lease turn in time.

When you installed the non run-flats, did you have the TPMS sensor installed in your wheels? I left them out because I can't see paying $184 for sensors I don't need. However, if anybody wants to buy a wheel / tire package from Tire Rack, they will install the TPMS sensors for $184.

182364 guest

Thanks for that info. You can buy a compressor and runflat goo with air pressure gauge built in for about $79 at www.tirerack.com. It is made by Continental

niktee guest

I did not have the TPMS installed.

Zahnarzt

Ditched the RFTs for PS2s and repair kit in the trunk.

Per my previous posts, I ditched my Bridgestone Potenza RFTs that came with my E90 for Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s (non-RFT), a repair kit in the trunk, and a strong tire/wheel insurance policy. I plan to use one of the Bridgestones for a spare when I get around to finding a rim.

I went into this thinking I might notice a small difference in ride quality and sound, but I am truly surprised at the amount of difference in both categories. I feel like I'm hovering over the bumps on my usual route, and I definitely notice less road noise in the 20-40mph range.

To put my potential bias in perspective, my fiancée did actually notice the ride difference, so I know I'm not totally off base.

I had about 15,000 miles on the last set of Bridgestones, and I know they're supposed to get louder as they wear. I'm sure the true test of a tire is made over its entire lifetime, but I thought my initial impressions deserved a post nonetheless. These tires and the whole idea of ditching run-flat tires in general get a big thumbs up so far. [IMG]

My $.02.

Rick