Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E92 M3 Oil Level

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by lugnut, Jun 7, 2008.

lugnut guest

Well, my dash is telling me that I am down to the halfway mark on my oil, yet I have no idea how much oil I should add. I can't find this info anywhere.

Anyone know the answer?

330indy1

man//// i am sorry this is happening to you..... but, the lack of dipstick issue, well, we knew this would happen, didn't we??!!

i would write a novel to BMW!

i mean come on! how much did you drop for this beast ? 70k?

lugnut guest

Update:

OK, well I choose to side with caution, and I only added 3/4 of a litre. I hop in, drove around for a couple of miles to let the system calibrate, and guess what....TOO MUCH OIL!!!! Huh?!

Good news is that after a blistering, supersonic 5am run out to the beaches of Long Island this morning my Oil level is back to normal. God bless empty highways.

Still wish I had a dipstick though:)

330indy1

so does this all mean your V8 is a bit oil-thirsty?

lugnut guest

Actually, so far it is burning far less oil than my E46 M3 did. I was adding about a quart per 1000 miles on the old M, as opposed to the 1/2qt that the E92 has used so far at 3800 miles.

330indy1

1 quart every 1000 miles for the S54? yikes. Did you break it in? what were the OCIs?

wanesso

Why is your new M3 using so much oil or should I ask why is my M3 apparently not ? ?

lugnut guest

That was only for the first 10K or so, then it settled down. I was told that the engine needed the oil to seep into the various seals and what not. It was broken in properly, I just use the engine I suppose (if I simply wanted to get from A to B I would have bought a Honda Fit:) ).

Wanesso, as for my oil use, well, like I said, I really get on it, but as it turns out, I was told to pretty much ignore the oil monitoring system on the dash (the one on the idrive screen is more accurate, but I didn't discover it until after I had added the Oil) until it says you are drastically low. The definition of "drastically low" that I was given was 2/10ths of a tank remaining. I'm over 4k miles now, and I have only needed to add 1/2 a quart of oil. This is including some flat out, max speed runs, so the E92 is actually much better as far as Oil consumption goes than the E46.

SBrasesco

They say that these engines will burn some oil during break-in...I have had to add a quart of oil in my E92 and it has just 6k on the odo.....though I did not really experience any oil burn in my M5 like so many early build 2000's did...only when she was driven really hard.
    Regards
    S

wanesso

....I assume the car's computer alerted you to the need for oil? or is there an old fashioned way to determine this on the new M3's....

CryNoMo guest

unfortunately none, its a sealed unit and remain electronics, I've heard folks getting their 1200 service oil changes and noticing the oil level a Qt low days after getting it from the dealership.

My only guess explanation for that is that service may have been reluctant to trust the owners manual putting all the oil it, since it takes a warm running engine to properly check the oil level (at least it is w/ my e90 325 oil system) and they rather be safe than sorry.

lugnut guest

It flashed on the dash that I was low on oil. That's all there was. If you have idrive you can go into the "info sources" panel and check your engine oil.

wanesso

oil change frequency

yes--my oil level checks out OK on the iDrive info----I'm approaching 9K miles, soon do for another change. met some bimmer nuts this weekend who said I should be changing the oil q 3K miles---that this V8 engine needs fresh oil more than the manual suggests.....what do you think? seems excessive.....:confused:

lugnut guest

Every 3k seems very unnecessary. No other BMW needs oil changed that often? Seems like something to move product (crazy expensive oil) to increase the dealers bottom line during hard economic times.