Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Smoke smell removal?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by championbuilder, Jun 6, 2008.

championbuilder guest

I just bought a 99 323i from a garage smoker...not in the car..just in the garage where the car was parked. I'm trying to get the smoke smell out of the car for my 16 year old daughter to drive. Any ideas?

madfronter guest

I would just try spraying a shit load of febreeze out oust spray in the car. I would also use some upholstery cleaner on all the seats as well as long as they aren't leather.

OldSid guest

Removing odors

Many years ago I used to drive a semi hauling livestock to Chicago. We had return loads of freight so had to have a clean trailer. Washing it wasn't a problem but removing the odor was something else. Coffee prices have gone up, but what we did was spread about 2 pounds of fresh coffee grounds on the floor. It worked wonders. If I were you, I would try that, put some paper on the floor and spread some coffee grounds on it and let it sit in the sun for while.

niemibl guest

Here are some suggestions I have read elsewhere:

• Place 3 or 4 cut lemons and orange in the car for a week with the windows closed.
    • Place an open can of fresh coffee in the car for 48 hours.
    • Place a large open tray of ammonia in the car for 24 hours.
    • Use an Ozone machine.
    • Zorbx
    • Griot's garage leather air freshener and their leather conditioner
    • Put some distilled white vinegar in a bowl and soak a hand towel in it. Leave the bowl in the car overnight. The towel absorbs the odor. For stronger smells use another bowl.
    • Place a bag of cut apples in the car for 48 hours.

I have not had the problem so I have not tested any of these.
    Good Luck

Calaway530I guest

Smell Remover

The coffee works for baby soy formula when your 1 year old pukes it in your rear floor.:eek:

Don't know if it will work for smoke but its worth a try.

Jeron guest

Lots of fresh air and a steam cleaning

I had good luck with the product Ozium (sp?). Ozone machine will work too but be very careful with it it can damage or discolor parts.