Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear spring coil

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by guillermo, Jun 4, 2008.

guillermo guest

I found today that my right rear spring coil is broke, any idea how much cost the pair of the rear springs?

Thank You

Autohaus guest

IMHO, if you need to change the rear spring, might as well change both the rears. Also imho, if your going to change the rear springs, might as well change the fronts as well. Bavauto.com has a special, $199.99 for lowering springs. Also, changing the rear springs on the E46 does not require a spring compressor tool. So to answer your question, $199 for springs (I think it would be free shipping), labor (I would say AT MOST 3 hours @ $80 per hour for an independant shop) and a wheel alignment (4-wheel, no more than $100-$125). Grand total should be about around the $600 at most.

Autohaus guest

Actually, not sure if you do need an alignment.....

guillermo guest

Thank you very much, I got prices from Bobby Rahal BMW and each coil cost 130.00, I have the same idea to replace coils from Bavauto, but I don't know if that will affect the dinamics of the car.

MGarrison

If front springs are changed, the struts have to come off the car. The tie rod settings may not actually change, but in remounting the struts and strut bearings to the shocktowers and control arms and tie rods, there's enough potential for something to not go back exactly the same, that I think an alignment would be warranted.

I would imagine there's other places on the boards here, as well as other forums, about what would be the practical and real-life changes you'll experience w/ lowering springs. You lower the center of gravity a tad and the springs presumably have a stiffer spring rate - I imagine, generally speaking, you gain some handling prowess at the expense of ride quality, and ground clearance.

joeyg323 guest

hi hi work at a dealer in clevlenad and i think there about 600 for a pair of springs you should not have to change the front never see anyone replace those

guillermo guest

Thank you for your answers, I foung the both springs cost 118 each with Bobby Rahal BMW, I'm going to replace both next week.

Thank you

bradley01 guest

I would go with Eibach sport springs for $199. That is all 4 springs!!! Better Price. Better Handling. Cheap Insurance!

guillermo guest

Today I change my spring coils and found too that left side was broke too :( , but right now the car feels a lot diferent, feels so good, please check yours springs is very comon that they break.

joeyg323 guest

yeah occasional the fronts break on e46 but i have yet to see one but at least once a week i have a e46 with broken rear springs i am a dealer tech if you were wondering.

Autohaus guest

You should have gotten four (4) springs from Bavauto.com for $199:eek: