Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Seeking 2009 M3 Details

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by jdherman, May 31, 2008.

jdherman

Hi,

I was wondering where I might find reliable info on the 2009 M3.

In particular I wanted to know:

1) What is the expected production start date for the 09's?
    2) If the expected production date is not known, will it be fairly certain that if I take delivery in April 2009 (so the build date would be in Feb/March) that it'll be '09 M3 versus an '08?
    3) What are the expected changes to the '09 M3 versus the current '08 M3? New features? Any known bugs with the '08 that will likely be fixed?
    4) Any sense for a price increase?

Thanks very much, Jeff

az3579

There's not much I can answer here, but traditionally, build dates in Feb/March would qualify is an '08 model. I think the ones built after the mid-year point are '09's, but I may be wrong.

Example: I've seen an X3 online with a build date of March. The production year was the same as the model year.

But my E30, built in September 1986, is an '87 model.

jdherman

Thanks for the reply.

I heard from someone else who said that any car built after 12/31/08 would not be called an 2008. Kind of makes sense. But since when does this have to make sense, right! :)

Anyone else out there with info to share?

az3579

Are you sure you typed the correct thing? Anything built after 12/31/08 better damned well not be a 2008 or someone at the manufacturer needs to go back to school. lol :p

jdherman

I think I misread your first sentence. I added some text to clarify what you meant: "There's not much I can answer here, but traditionally, build dates in Feb/March 2008 would qualify is an '08 model. I think the ones built after the mid-year 2008 point are '09's, but I may be wrong."

I think we we always on the same page: A car built in 2009 must at least be a 2009, but if built late enough in the year, could be a 2010.

az3579

Regarding the features, I wouldn't imagine there being anything major feature-wise, but I think the M3 sedan will receive a refreshed tail-light as the current E90 3-series (non-M3) will receive as well. I think Space Grey will also be offered, which is only offered on the coupe at this time. There will be a modified rear bumper and diffuser and interior changes usually accompany facelift models. Price increases are inevitable for facelifted models; no such thing as making something look better and it costing the same. lol

This is all I gather from a quick and dirty Google search. Multiple websites confirm all that I have mentioned above, but the only thing that can actually confirm these changes is the actual facelift model itself when it comes out. ;)

I believe the cutoff for BMW is September, i.e. BMW built in Sep 2008 will be designated as 2009 model.

wanesso

hard to improve

After driving the new '08 M3 coupe and (knowing all that went into creating the new V8)--this would be very hard to improve. I've been driving mine for two months now and wouldn't trade it -- it really is pure pleasure and an awesome experience everytime, ie, 'the ultimate driving machine' (despite the price of the gas, still looking for excuses to go out and drive it)

jdherman

So, I've actually got an 08 on order, but I finally got the production date today, it's 6/11/08. Two months to arrive, then were in mid August, two months from 4-6 months of snows and gravel on the road in Colorado - a time when it'll be garaged.

I was trying to decide whether it made sense to take possession of an 08 for two months and wake up after winter to see the 09's out or just wait for the 09's and take delivery in March.

I've decided to take delivery of an 09 in March.

Sure wish BMW could have gotten the car to me faster. I would be total happy if I got the car two months ago.

wanesso

'08 vs waiting even longer

I understand the dilemma--I'm in the Syracuse NY area where my M3 will be parked for 6 months too--not alot of time to enjoy your car. The local dealer here had both showroom M3's available for immediate purchase until a short time ago---at the other extreme is California where the dealers are raising the price to 100K and you still can't get one--the supply and price is so heavily tied to demand (everyone here in Syracuse wants a subaru or audi--the economy here is not conducive either). I had ordered mine about 9 months ago (from nearby Rochester dealer)--arrived early April. I just had a guy come up to me yesterday saying he also had ordered his months before but the dealer bumped him off the list (he was now driving his 'distant second choice', a new A5 coupe). It's frustrating not getting what you've ordered.

lugnut guest

Wow... going from an M3 to an A5 has got to be tough. Personally I think the S5/A5 is absolutely stunning to look at, but even the S5 was ho-hum to drive (I can't believe cars have reached the point where a 340hp coupe is "boring"). I was driving with a couple of modded M6s, a 997TT, and a Gallardo the other day and I had no trouble keeping up at all (on the twisties I was able to pull away from the M6s no problem). The only thing I am changing is the exhaust system. It simple doesn't sing the way I would like it too, especially below 3000rpm. Now if only I can find an Eisenmann exhaust anywhere:cool:

wanesso

M3 rules

pull away from an M6? If you change the exhaust, let us know how it sounds....

Casseus330iZHP guest

Any of you M3 fellas mind if you buy me one too??? (doesnt hurt asking)

wanesso

not that it matters....

Casseus,
    this fella is a girl---bought my M3 on my own--I enjoy being the minority in this case---when you get your M3 I'll race you! Guys, you are all very helpful about taking care of this car and you do know more than I (right now)---I appreciate it, this is a great forum.:)

Casseus330iZHP guest

Sorry...my lady...it'll be a while before I get a M3. the fun thing about it is when Im ready, it'll be a 2011 M3. Hopefully a 450bhp/405torque, 3,200 lbs (full tank of gas and 4 people) and all the goddies with it. Til then enjoyin my 330izhp.

P.S. I'd still race ya now (Of course on a track...gotta obey the speed limit-grinning-)

wanesso

2011 M3

2011 is not so far off especially when you're driving a great car now! (what year is the 330i or should I know by the letters?)---gives you time to fully spec it out
    yes the track is safest.....however....one can mostly obey the speed limit and just occasionally......make sure the Valentine One is full volume... Having driven w/ 4 people in the car---it's not quite as fun as w/ driver only---you can really feel the weight.
    I will partake of the BMW driving school race classes whenever possible---even the autocross competitions for accuracy and nimbleness training....all in the interest of safety of course.....Does anyone know how long my tires will last w/ race 'training'?

az3579

Define 'training'. lol

My first track day brought almost no noticeable wear to my street tires, but then again, you've got over 270 hp more than I do. ;)

wanesso

training=high rpm (whole lot of engine noise) and occasional rapid braking..(ie, fun)

Casseus330iZHP guest

2003 330i black sapphire. What is your launching technique?

I WANT new M3. Those $@!# WRX still picking on me.

wanesso

M3

The occasional WRX owners who don't know what an M3 is find out as I pass (and this subaru is a fine car, I had fun with one).....otherwise, it's mostly the happy thumbs up that I get from others who recognize the bump on the hood---(he is Jerez black with 19" wheels)--.
    There are not alot around this area(none new)---if I were in SanDiego or N.J/NYC would probably not generate the excitement :)

As another M3 owner on this forum has said, I find the only mildly negative thing I can say is about the shift stick----took a while to adjust to the way it throws--I have a TT with a nice short throw which seemed more intuitive....but I think I've overcome.....