Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'08 550 Sport gas mileage

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by kargeek, May 30, 2008.

kargeek

I currently have a '03 E39 540i with the sport package and consistently average 18 MPG - overall between hwy and city driving. I've owned this car for 3 years and never operate it without the A/C off.

I test drove an '08 3,000 mile 550 sport and to my horror found the computer average showing 8 Miles per gallon.

Anybody here have a 550 sport and can tell me what you are averaging for mileage?

Regards, D Hall

niemibl guest

I have a 2005 545i 6 speed manual. I usually average around 21 mpg which is mostly city driving, although it is not on streets with a traffic light at every intersection. I have not taken any long trips but the best I have gotten is 25 mpg which was 405 miles on a tank of gas. The worst I have gotten is 19 mpg. Those numbers were calculated manually based on at least 3/4 of a tank of gas. The on-board computer is usually about 5%, or 1 mpg higher.
    BMW estimates the 545i mileage at 17 mpg city / 25 mpg highway and the 550i at 15 mpg city / 22 mpg highway (manual) 23 mpg highway (automatic). So I would think the fuel consumption of the 550i would not be that much lower than I what I am experiencing.

8 mpg is Ferrari Enzo territory!!

mowens guest

My '08 550i with sport package is averaging a little over 18mpg with just over 9,000 miles. This is a mix of city and highway driving, but also includes driving on the autobahn and two sessions at the track. My friend has just over 7,000 miles on his and his overall average is over 19mpg, but he has no track time yet. Hope this helps.

patb2390

I have '08 550i w/ sports package (9000 miles) and I'm getting about 18mpg, mostly city. On highway, I get around 24-25mpg if my speed is below 80mph. 22mph if I'm at 90+mph. In the 550i it's hard to stay under 90mph on the highway.

kargeek

The car I was driving was a dealer trade in with under 3000 miles so I was thinking someone got cold feet with terrible gas mileage. From what was posted it looks like I can have a 550 and carry on with at least the same fuel cost as my current E39.

My next five series has to be a sport w/ aero package- a-la M5.

I also noticed with the '08 550 sport compared to the M5, one size smaller tires in aspect ratio on the 550. The thing looks "under- tired" with lots of potential for rim damage. Frist thing I would do is to upgrade-up size the tires on the thing.

I also noticed the 550 sport has a grey colored headliner where prior sport packages included a black headliner- like the M series.

Thanks for the feedback! DH

daytona550

You can order the anthracite headliner (almost black) as a Priority 1 option. Check with your dealer.

lepeau guest

I have an 08 550 Sport with SAT and I consistently get 20mpg combined driving. If I get aggressive with shifting and higher in the revs I might get 18mpg on a bad day. If I am on the highway with cruise control doing 80 mph, I can get 25 mpg. I don't think this is too bad for a car with multiple personalities. Most SUVs and minivans can't achieve this level of economy. Considering this is not meant to be an economy car, I believe it has a great balance of performance and practicality.

j3o3t3 J3O3T3

had my '08 550i sp w/sat since 6/08 and just turned 10K miles. I havent reset MPG meter since new and 19.1 is my average mpg,

If I spend periods where I dont do much freeway time, sport mode in use, this dips a little.

My '05 545i averaged about 19.6, so I'm real pleased with 19.1.

Dont worry, 8mpg is an anomaly of a mpg meter with few miles on the clock.

kargeek

Now enjoying a new 550i Sport!

Picked up my new space gray 550 on Jan 2nd and I am very very pleased. I have just over 500 miles on the ODO and with combined freeway and street use- averaging 18MPG.

I have to put a plug in for Jason and Steve at the internet department at Long Beach BMW. Their best deal won me over.

I sold my 80K mile E39 '03 Sport to a local BMW enthusiast- and at first the new technology was intimidating and lacked the traditional BMW intuitive controls...but I've gotten over it I-Drive and all. Besides the performance and handling, phone intergration etc, the stereo with Logic 7, HD radio, satellite and I-Pod is outstanding. I'm ready for a road trip...

az3579

My God those wheels are awesome...

I'm sure you guys could get better mileage if you adjusted your driving style. It's awfully tempting to get on the throttle with a V8 down the bonnet. :D

rfluker

2008 550i auto 18.5 MPG first 4500 miles

carlwoessner

Great Car

I bought my 2008 550i via the European delivery program in the fall of 2007, and my milage has never been close to 8 mpg.

I've got about 23,000 miles on my car now and I've been averaging between 19.5 to 25.5 mpg throughout this time period. Now if you have the sport package with the performance transmission engaged, who knows what your milage would be.

P.S. We also have an 2000 E39 with the sports package and I think the E60 is far superior.

missmelyssa guest

You got over it quick! My '06 325i had the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle. I wasn't too wild about all the technology myself, but the i-Drive will be missed.

sbrodecki

We have a 2008 550i with sport package, 19" wheels with run flats. We have driven this car on long two day trips and have seen 24 mpg. I average around 22 mpg when I drive and sometimes 21 mpg in sports mode. My wife get around 23 to 24 mpg. We have over 25,000 miles on this car and I can not wait to get rid of the run flat tires. We only use Chevron Premium and sometimes Shell Premium, nothing else.

j3o3t3 J3O3T3

at 19K miles after just passing 1 yr anniversary mine gets 19.2 avg mpg.

cbm3 guest

I'm averaging around 18mpg in my 2010 550i Msport.

carlwoessner

Today, I drove from Ohio to Atlanta, and according to the computer, my average speed was 72.3 mph and my mpg was 24.5. Not bad. I drove in the automatic mode, "D", for the entire trip.

The car performed beautifully.

txbuzzard

I have an '08 550i with 6 spd. manual, Dinan mods: cold air intake, performance exhaust, throttle body & stage 3 software and average around 19 mpg hwy/city combined. Excellent consumption for a car of this type! Kudos BMW.

jd1966 guest

'07 550i sprt / 6spd

I've had my '07 550i sprt / 6spd (25,000 miles) for about a month now and have been averaging just under 20 mpg in combined driving.
    But the first week I had it I only got about 15 mpg - it is a lot of fun to drive :)

carlwoessner

My 08 550i has about 35,000 miles now, and my mpg has always been above 20. On the interstate, I've averaged more than 25 at times. It's a great car! I always look forward to driving my ultimate driving machine.