Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 BMW 530i Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by majin e39, May 28, 2008.

majin e39 guest

Hey guys, im pretty new to the forums, and i have some questions.

I recently purchased a 2002 530i from my father, which just hit 34,000 miles.

The last oil change that was done was by the dealer, at 28,000 miles a year ago. I changed the oil last night using oem bmw oil and filter. I also put a k&n air filter in the car and replaced the in-cabin microfilters under the hood (used my bmwcca discount for the first time lol)

Seeing as the car has passed the 30k mile mark, do any fluids need to be changed? My father says the auto tranny and rear diff fluids were not changed, and neither was the coolant since he has owned it.

Last time the car was at the dealer for the oil change, the brakes were bled.

So, does anything maintenance wise need to be done to the car? I called the dealer last night (Hassel BMW in freeport, NY) and they said nothing needs to be done, is that right? I would think at the very least the coolant should be changed? Thanks in advance

majin e39 guest

anyone have any input as to if my car needs any fluids or service done to it?

niemibl guest

Some recommend that the brake fluid be changed yearly and the coolant be changed every two years. Since your car is about 6 years old I would think changing those would be a good idea.
    Another recommendation is to change your oil after a year if you have not driven it enough to change the oil on a mileage basis.

majin e39 guest

thanks for the response...so im good with the rear diff/auto trans fluids?

as you can tell from the fact that its a 2002 with 34k miles, it was barely driven...

niemibl guest

There are different opinions on the differential and transmission fluids. However, it would be a good idea to change both of them as well, on 30,000 mile intervals.
    And it would also be good to change your air filter and fuel filter.

Bimmerdan

I think niemibl pretty well covered it. BMW now considers the transmission and differential fluid to be "lifetime" fluids (not sure when that started exactly) but most people have reall issues with that. Mike Miller put together one of the best guidelines I've seen regarding regular maintenance schedules, here's an excerpt that may help you out. If you want to read the entire article, I can send you a link.

"...Prior to the advent of BMW Free Scheduled Maintenance, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more..."

It's an oustanding article and very comprehensive so again, if your're intersted, let me know and I'll send you the link to it.
    1 people like this.

Autohaus guest

Great car! I am sure you love the interior of the E39. I feel that it is one of the best, next to the E38 and the E46. Bimmerdan has it right. Follow Mike Miller's intervals. Most importantly, change the coolant ASAP and change the auto trans and differential fluids at once. Make sure to use BMW coolant ONLY mixed with water 50/50. FYI, don't take the car to the dealer for these services. Find an independent BMW mechanic/shop to perform the above/future maintenence. Taking an out of warranty BMW to the dealership will cost you a nice E30 :rolleyes:

az3579

That's because they're all the same. :D

Can you send me the link Bimmerdan? Thanks. :)

Bimmerdan