Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I Need Service Advice !

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by E92Dreier, May 28, 2008.

E92Dreier

For the third time, my brake pad warning light has illuminated on the dashboard of my 2007 328i coupe. The first time, the sensor was just shut off. The second time the pads and sensors were resurfaced, because I was also complaining of excessive squealing, brake pedal modulation, steering wheel vibration, and the service light intermittently illuminating. Now, after the debacle of the second instance (I had to change SA's after I was told "the brakes squeal because you abuse the car" and "BMW's do not have brake sensors that squeal." Now, in the face of the continued squealing, and the re-illumination of the "brake" light, I am considering changing Service centers.

1. Should this be happening? Is this part of Ultimate Service?
    2. Is this a common issue?
    3. How do I contact BMW NA?
    4. What should I do as a repeat BMW customer and an avid enthusiast?
    5. I have refused to answer BMW's quality survey questions because I would give my dealership all zeros if possible. Is this why I get shafted?

Thank you, I am at the end of my rope. Your comments are appreciated.

E92Dreier

UPDATE:

BMW customer relations is telling me that I should have my car inspected at a different dealership. If there is no satisfactory resolution, I should call customer relations back so they can send a regional engineer to inspect my vehicle. While this is a step forward it is inconvenient, inefficient, and unbelievably poor customer service.

I explained that although I appreciate her pleasant demeanor and placating answers, I am considering turning the vehicle in early on its lease and incurring all of those financial penalties, just so I can get BMW's Not So Ultimate Service out of life. I will retain my membership with BMW CCA though and maybe go buy an E36 M3 with no warranty.

Those little graphics that BMW displays on its website that compare the cost of owning a BMW to owning other manufacturer's cars are lies. BMW owners should expect to replace their incredibly costly runflats more often than any other tire they have ever owned, and be told, well you are lucky you got 18,000 miles, some people only get 10,000. Also, they should be prepared to drive a car that sounds like a school bus/ice cream truck every time you hit the brakes, and to deal with a dealer who alternately says, "that is normal" and "that is because you abuse the car." And remember, BMW dealerships are all indpendently owned, so BMW NA actually encourages price shopping between dealers because some of them are known to rip people off. BMW dealerships don't want to touch anything off of BMW's schedule for service, because then they have to fight BMW NA to pay for it. Who is left out in the cold? The dummy who ponies up the payments.

Edit: BMW customer relations also told me that if I switch to any size tire other than OEM, or any non-RFT tire, I will be voiding my warranty.

Autohaus guest

Sorry for your troubles. The SA had a pair when he mentioned that you abused the car. My grandparents 97 528i (when it was under warranty) had the brakes changed after 5K miles and they were told that they abused the car. It should not be happening. Best to get aftermarket brake components, but your under warranty and you would go up the roof if somebody mentioned to you to get aftermarket brake parts (i just did :confused:). I would say go to a different dealer and have them change them out. Since you already contacted BMW NA, you should try to get back at them and tell them the famous Mike Miller quote, "I need BMW to stand by the product and correct the problem. Otherwise I will be looking for another marque brand when the time comes", or something along those lines. If you give the dealership anything under a "5" rating, they will know that it was you (since it is not kept confidential), so they are basically shafting you :mad:. Let us know how you are making out....

E92Dreier

Thanks for the reply -- I laughed outloud thinking about an elderly couple hammering their stock 528i down the straight away and late braking through the turns (now that is abuse).
    I already gave them that line from Mike M. -- I told BMW Customer Relations that unless BMW stands by its products, I will have no choice but to explore the benefits of owning a Mercedes Benz. She was not amused.

I am also exploring an upgrade to aftermarket brakes at my own expensem, just to never have to speak to a Service Advisor again about this issue. It would be one thing if I didn't need $2,000 worth of rubber too. Ultimate Drive yes. Ultimate Service? LOL

Autohaus guest

Have you considered putting non run-flats or will that alone void the warranty on the whole car?!

E92Dreier

I am considering it, but will probably opt to stick with OEM RFT for a few reasons.

1. BMW says non RFT's will not work with suspension geometry. They can't void your whole warranty, but they can claim that your non rft's are the reason your suspension has issues, etc. and not honor those specific warranty claims.

2. Who the hell wants to ride around with a spare and a jack laying in their trunk?

3. It is a leased car -- MUST be turned in with OEM RFT.

4. BMW Assist will not tow cars without RFT's.

Autohaus guest

That is so ridiculous. So they would leave people (and the car) stranded in the middle of nowhere just because someone might change from RFT's to non RFT's? Ouch :( Pretty soon BMW Assist won't assist if one doesn't have BMW valve cap covers........:p

E92Dreier

The best part is my 15 dollar BMW OEM roundel valve stem caps are seized on my valve stems - Junk!

Any Techs out there? Come on fellas...I need some advice because I no longer have any idea what to do. Dealership A says "there is nothing wrong" dealership B says the soonest service appointment we can get you is next month.

Should I go to Dealer C?

Should I just give up and buy a honda next time?

Autohaus guest

I know you didn't say the "H" word here on bmwcca! Go to dealer C through Z if you have too. Or just bite the bullet and get aftermarket brake components.......

E92Dreier

You're right I should have said:

Mercedes Benz, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Nissan, Porsche, Lotus first !

Thanks for correcting my mistake. But I just drove my friend's brand new Civic SI with limited slip and close ratio gear box and I was very impressed. I didn't mean to suggest that I was actually going to buy a Honda, only that it's price would make it possible to replace the tires and brake system whenever necessary. In fact, I could just buy two, keeping one on standby if the other ever broke.

E92Dreier

UPDATE:

BMW Mt. Kisco is no joke. They are my new servicing dealer.

Their Service Manager, and my new Service Advisor evaluated my vehicle this morning. They feel that the parking brake release is not functioning properly, and that the squealing and false indicator light are both a result. They are contacting their factory rep to see of I can have some assitance on the purchase price of new tires as well as to see if they can have some leeway to replace the pads and rotors early. For now, the light is still on and the brakes are still squealing, but I am thoroughly impressed with BMW Mt. Kisco.

They managed to evaluate and effectively diagnose a problem that has lingered for almsot a year and 12,000 miles with a different dealer. When I related that someone had told me that the brakes squeal because I abuse the car, they said, "if someone said that to a customer here they would be cleaning out their desk."

One of their mechanics stopped when he saw me standing around my car. Within 30 seconds he was asking about how I painted my grille and where I got my painted reflectors. He was like, "your car looks f-ing sweet buddy. You'll like it here, we all love BMW. Go check out our B7 while you wait."

Bye bye other guys. Mt. Kisco BMW is putting you to shame.

Autohaus guest

They are currently building a new site in Mt. Kisco. They are currenty in Bedford I think. Glad that you have found a dealership that is understandable. Looks like your "honda" plans are put on the bottom of the pile. BTW, the B7 is sweet :). Do you have a loaner from them now? Just curious, was Prestige BMW and/or Wide World of Cars one of the dealers that have pulled your chain?

E92Dreier

The Mt. Kisco facility is open, but not finished. It is IMPRESSIVE. No loaner yet, they are trying to negotiate with their factory rep for a little $$$ help for me regarding the tire replacement, so it didn't make sense to leave it today . WW of cars and Prestige were not either of the facilitites I was dealing with. Both were in CT. Thanks for looking in.