Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 M3 Cabin Microfilter Replacement Interval?

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by eecon, May 24, 2008.

eecon guest

I noticed that my 2002 M3 Service Guide lists that the cabin microfilter is to be replaced at each oil & filter service. However, I see that the cabin filter was replaced only once (at 3 years) during a no-cost service visit for a low annual milege oil service. The micofilter was not replaced at the 1 year and 2 year low annual mileage oil services. I now have 18,000 miles on it I still show 7200 miles to Inspection I, which will probably be sometime in 2010.

I took the M3 in for an annual $100 oil service at the dealer the other day and again the cabin microfilter was not changed. Has BMW changed their service recommendations foro the cabin microfilter?

Wondering what other E46 M3 owners have been doing regarding the frequencey of replacement of the cabin microfilter and isn't there another service display for "Oil change" that comes up separately from the "Inspection" display. I've had the oil changed annually (never more than 2000 miles) and have never seen an "Oil Change Light" even though I asked the dealer not to reset the oil service counter.

Wonder what's going on here?

Also noticed tonight that Level I and II both require an E46 M3 check and adjustment of the valves, but my two differenent dealers (and others here on this and other forums) state that valve adjustments are normally pushed out to Level II if the engine tappets sound good and the car runs fine? Weird.

BTW, what is the typical mileage needed for the E46 M3 Oil Service Light to come on? .... I Can't find a mileage recommendation listed in my owners manual.

M3Driver guest

I change mine once a year, typically in the fall. It it falls under the "BMW pays"; so be it; if not I pay.

As far as your oil service question, the only other displays are Inspection I and Inspection II if I am not mistaken. My valves were adjusted at Inspection I by the dealer as part of the maintenance plan.

I also change my engine oil with TWS 10W60 every 5500 miles. I don't adhere to the BMW ridiculous maintenance schedule. Many other owners don't as well. If you own your own car and plan on keeping it for the long haul it just does not make sense. If you lease, well that is a different story I guess.

Email Mike Miller at Roundel (techtalk@roundel.org) for his old school BMW maintenance schedule.

Cheers.

eecon guest

Thanks for the info .... about every 6000 miles for an oil change was what I was guessing, but that would take me 3 or 4 years to accumulate those miles so I pay the dealer do an oil service annually.

But let me rephrase my question: Besides the Level I and Level II Inspection indicators, is there also a separate Oil Service Indicator that lights up when it's time on the e46 M3?

I had assumed the Dealer was also doing the cabin filter per the service book, but from now on I will ask that they also do the microfilter and pay the extra cost involved because I don't see the part number listed on my receipts and I'm not currently being charged for it. I realize the cabin filter is an easy $35 DIY, but unfortunately my old aching back tells me to let someone else do DIYs from here on. I do plan to keep the car indefinately.

Due to my low mileage, I never got much out of the orginal 3 Year BMW Maintenance Plan except one brake flush, some wiper blades, the 1,200 mile M3 service, a replacement tire inflator cartridge and 3 oil changes (only one of which also replaced the cabin filter at 3 years and 11,000 miles :)

M3Driver guest

Sorry; yes there is. If memory serves it simply says "Oil Service". You know we have the "countdown" mileage indicator. Seems like when it gets to "zero" the proper indicator will display. Most dealers will do the indicated service (at least in my experience) if you are within 100 miles of the mileage indicator.

Also make sure you get the BMW CCA discount.

The BMW "old school" maintenance document that I mentioned earlier from Tech Talk's Mike Miller is ideal for you since you will be keeping the car for a long time.

Cheers....

snikwad guest

Buy a cabin filter and change it yourself. It takes like 20 seconds, literally.

Also, I don't know who listens to an engine to determine if a valve adjustment is needed, they're supposed to pull the valve cover and check them for insp 2. Just because its not audible doesn't mean they're perfect. The dealer is full of it, and they're basically doing the bare minimum until its out of warranty, then amazingly if u take it back to them, they'll find a million things that are wrong or need replacing. Its amazing how low the tolerance levels are when bmw is paying for it, but when your paying for it, they make it seem the car will do everything short of falling apart.

eecon guest

You must have missed my earlier post in this thread ...... I have back problems even reaching for the dipstick in my old age. Besides, why should I do something myself when I can painlessly afford to pay someone else to do it for me and thus avoid taking medicines for resultant pain? As for my local BMW dealers trying to avoid adjusting valves, my 2002 18K M3 is long past the no-cost service period and warranty even though it still looks and smells brand new. It is basically warehouse/shop decor within in my #2 building located next to the horse stables and barn (only driven every couple of weeks when it's turn comes up after the old Corvettes, Shelbys and Mopar Hemis).

Unless BMW has changed the service schedule on the E46 M3, my 2002 service manual says valves are to be adjusted at BOTH Level I and Level ll services. Yet both dealers refused to take my money to adjust valves at 18K after driving and listening to the engine. Same for the independent BMW shop ..... maybe they are just too honest in my town?

snikwad guest

Ah, I see. I missed the back thing. If even the indy shops refused it, then maybe there isn't anything to worry about then. I guess the mileage really negates the need to adjust them, 18k miles on a 02. That's just insane. I'd be worried as hell with that kind of mileage after 6 years. These cars are meant to be driven, I dunno, I suppose since its a garage queen the cabin filter is probably mint. Do u have anyone who can check it for you, u seem very concerned about it. Have someone pop it out for u.

az3579

I thought modern engines had self-adjusting valves? I thought I read that somewhere...:confused:

EDIT: Cool tidbit I didn't know before. Read up on it and found that the S52 engine has to be adjusted because it uses parts that allow for higher speeds. Cool. :)

eecon guest

A few samples of any high interest automobile always end up in various private collections for asthestics or the owner's personal ego purposes. This does not necessarily guaranty that they will be driven enough for their own good.

The cabin filter is probably still good since it's last change-out at 11,000 miles and I'll have it replaced again at the scheduled Level I currently shown due at 24,000 miles (in a few years). The original Pilot Sports will be nearly 9 or 10 years old by then with 75% of the original tread still remaining. However, they will all be replaced simply due to the tire's old rubber age at that time.

snikwad guest

Yeah, you def want to swap those tires out. Its amazing how little your car has been driven in 6 years. Although I did see a 95 M3 LTW for sale on bimmerforums.com last year with 1800 miles or so iirc. The thing was never even registered, so technically it was still brand new.

Hats off to you guys. Tell me tho, do u have a daily driver, if so, what is it? Any other BMWs in the collection? Pics?

eecon guest

My daily ride used to be a horse until my back gave out.

A Late model Mercury AWD SUV and a Ford Fusion AWD are the dailies for the nannies and domestics ..... no other BMWs in the collection.

snikwad guest

No other bimmers :(