Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Restraint System Malfunction 2009 e90 328xi

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by shyammichael, Sep 17, 2014.

shyammichael

Last night when I started my 2009 328xi I received a "Restraint System Malfunction!" message on my nav screen. It indicates that its a passenger restraint system issue (Fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center). I did a little research and seems to be a recall for 2006 e90s but not other years. Has anyone else encountered this? Common issue? Is there any danger in driving? What could have caused this? Any insight would be appreciated.

charlson89

There are a couple issues with the that it could be. One just a belt tensioner that has to much resistance in the circuit. The other is a passenger side seat occupancy mat that has failed. You need to pull the faults for airbag system to get a accurate diagnosis. The seat mats go bad quite often in these cars not sure why.

shyammichael

Thanks, I guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer. Tried pulling the codes with my OBDII reader but didnt seem to work on the BMW. Hopefully it'll be covered under CPO.
    • Staff

steven s

A regular OBD-II reader won't pull SRS codes, nor ABS for that matter. Common problem on E36s were that the wires connected to the seat mat were too short. Could be a similar problem.

shyammichael

Thanks, will be taking my car into the dealer soon to have it checked out.

shyammichael

Long time since my update, but the dealer fixed under CPO so no charge!

charlson89

Glad it got fixed and for no charge is a great bonus!