Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

repairShop: repair/fill a tiny crack in my front windshield

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by barl0w, May 21, 2008.

barl0w guest

hey guys,

can anyone recommend a reputable shop who can repair/fill a tiny crack in my front windshield? its just above the right wiper blade... no signs of traveling yet, so i want to get it repaired/filled asap. long beach bmw quoted 1650.00 to replace windshield

thanks
    barl0

az3579

I could've sworn those are repairable; check Safelite to see if they can repair your windshield. $1650 for a new windshield is ridiculous; it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks.

www.safelite.com

Autohaus guest

For $1650, not only should they give you a new windshield, but they should also give you a full tune up, change all fluids, give you a detail and oil changes to last until the next ice age.......Try taking it to an automotive glass repair facility. Pocket the $1300 you would save from the "stealer".

barl0w guest

great, thanks guys. i just spoke to safelite, they will come out and repair for under 100. great tip!

az3579

Actually a replacement isn't bad either. After posting that, I ordered them to come out to my home (they do that!) and replace my windshield. They're having some kind of spring sale, so after taxes (assuming I need no other parts other than windshield), labor and the windshield will be a few bucks short of $300. Not a bad deal at all!

Having it done on Tuesday and I can't wait, especially at that price. My windscreen is pitted to hell and back from over 17 years of 80+ miles/day highway commuting [or so previous owner says]. When clean, it looks like you dumped a bunch of dust and debris onto the screen. :eek:

barl0w guest

really? ok, i will take it in for another quote. you know LONG BEACH BMW told me that it had to be replaced by a dealer. Is there anything i need to be cautious of if not? Electronics, sensors, etc...that are wired up to the windshield?

az3579

Actually, I just noticed your avatar. I'm assuming that's your car.

If it is, then the dealer might be correct; yours probably does have sensors and the like in it... I would be hesitant to say that Safelite can definitely do it for you. I plugged in a 2008 BMW 550i as the car on the Safelite website (I'm sure it's close to yours) and it says that you need to contact them for a quote, whereas mine was a simple "plug-in and quote" type of price. Yours does have special considerations, but I still think it would be cheaper through Safelite than the dealer. Call them and ask.

biglen

Interesting

My 2008 535xi just had the windshield replaced for a crack around the same area - drivers side, about a third up the windshield, from the A-pillar out. The installer says he sees this sort of crack "on these cars all the time". Don't know how factual it is.

daytona550

Safelite is replacing my 330ci windshield (equipped with rain-sensing wipers). They will use OE glass sourced from local BMW dealer. Work is guaranteed.

barl0w guest

awesome...i will set something up in a few weeks. do you have to go to them, or will they come out to your office. approximately, how long did it take?

thanks guys!

daytona550

Safelite will come to your office/house to do either a repair, or a complete windshield replacement. The repair takes 20 minutes. The windshield might take 30-45 minutes (mine is getting done tomorrow). BTW, Florida law requires that insurance companies pay for repair or replacement of windshields at no cost to the policyholder (no deductible whatsoever). Is that great or what! I must say that our FL legislature is pretty darn good! Check with your local Safelite store just in case you have a similar situation.

Autohaus guest

This is good to know. I will be moving to the sunshine state early next year. :cool:

az3579

I just got my windshield replaced and it took no more than 15 minutes. My windshield is a lot simpler, but I was very satisfied with their service.

When it came time to pay them on site, the price was about a hundred dollars more than what the internet quote was and the guy installing my windshield knew nothing about the 40% spring savings being offered, so I paid the full amount, took a trip to the local Safelite shop, and they had me write out a check for the quoted amount (showed them the printout) without a single bit of argument. They honored their internet quote. :)

MGarrison

Griot's makes a windshield repair kit, something like $25. Not sure how appropriate or well it works for current era bimmers.