Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Idle Problems NEED HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by rfirebaugh, May 21, 2008.

rfirebaugh guest

I have a 1986 325es manual and it recently started accelerating on it's own. Peddle is not stuck either. When I put the clutch in it goes up to 3500 rpms!!!! Undriveable.

Checked the throttle cable too. Could it be the ICV easy to fix? easy to clean? Could it be some sort of stabilizer like an Idle Control Unit located in the glove box? Near the ECU....

Desperate for help....

az3579

Responded in the other thread you posted...

BMWAutoSportGT

I had the same problem with my 86 325e. I replaced the ICV and it went back to a smooth 800rpm idle. No issues whatsoever after that.

Best of luck!

-83 320i
    -86 635csi
    -87 325ic
    -01 330ci

E36M3MIKE guest

that icv needs cleaning or replacement.... if you have a buddy with a similar car take his and test it if it works then you know:)

Gatsby740iL guest

+2. I encountered this while running my garage and after the replacement... the car was fine. I also found a manifold leak that needed attention but try the ICV as it should solve the problem!

Good Luck! :cool:

rfirebaugh guest

ICV Advice

Thanks for all the responses we did determine it was the ICV but we are pulling the part let's hope it's good.

Also I hope my clutch is not destroyed. Before replacing this valve I had to feather it in third just to get it going. I may have hurt the linkage but I hope not. Seems all of your cars were fine afterward let's hope I didn't hurt the clutch. Oh dear? :(

az3579

You shouldn't have to do that. Once replaced and the engine is started, the revs usually go up high to about 1500rpm and then drops according to necessity. If cold, it should stay at or around 1100rpm and drop down to about 750-850 when warm.

What exactly is wrong? Are the revs really low, low enough to not idle and stall as a result?

rfirebaugh guest

Not the ICV

It was the wiring next to the ICV that plugs into it. But now the clutch won't go into gear....it's stuck in 3rd the last gear I drove it in. So is this the clutch linkage? There was some smoking obviously when trying to get the car home when the rpms were way high.

Also, the idle is quite low now and you actually have to give it some gas to keep it up around 1000. The little screw in the ICV controls the idle correct?

Thanks for listening. The linkage adjustment (I hope should be fairly easy to get to)....

I can't dump more money into this car.