Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fuel gauge stuck

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by guanaco, May 20, 2008.

guanaco guest

Hello everyone, i have a 1997 M3 and the fuel gauge is stuck at 1/4 also the computer does not give the range (miles) anymore. Anyone has any advice.

thank you,:confused:

Doc Holliday guest

I think your sender unit is bad. I had a bad sender unit and my symptoms were, by 180 miles driven the level was showing empty and the miles to empty was screwed up. I would drive it 280 miles and then fill it up to make sure I didn't run out.

Replacing the sender unit cleared everything up.

M3Driver guest

+1 on the sending unit...

guanaco guest

thank you so much i will see if can replace the sender unit.

Bimmerdan

It's fairly easy to do but you need to be careful. You'll need to remove the backseat and peel up the insulation. Do it in a very well ventilated area, lay down a drop cloth, have plenty of rags handy, disconnect your battery to reduce the chance of a spark and definitely have a fire extinguisher in easy reach. You'll basically be opening the top of the gas tank so don't take any chances.

I changed the fuel pump and sending unit in my '95 about a year ago. It's a very simple process, just be safe about it.