Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Changing Engines

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by splaya15, May 19, 2008.

splaya15 guest

I drive a 95 325i and im looking to put a new motor in. If im going to put a new one in I want it to be worth it so im looking for a more powerful engine. Any suggestions would be nice!

Arash2002tii guest

e30 M3 engine or even an e24 M6 motor?

Autohaus guest

What is your budget?

az3579

E30 M3 motor in an E36? Not enough. There's extra weight to lug around. Besides, even without the weight, it wouldn't be much of an improvement, IMO.

I'm thinkin S50/S52. Now we're talkin... :D

As for the budget, if you're having someone do it for you, be prepared to spend thousands, literally (possibly) over $4k to have it done, plus the cost of the motor and any other components you might need. Honestly, I don't think an engine swap is a better alternative to just getting a better condition car. Is there anything actually wrong with your engine? If not, there are mods you can do to get more power out of it. Hell, a supercharger is cheaper than the cost of another engine and labor...

Autohaus guest

As Mike Miller would say, "If you want a specific engine, you are better off buying the car with the engine you want in it installed by BMW". A conversion will at most far exceed the value of the car. BTW az3579, I bet you are getting great gas mileage by doing 150+ mph :)

splaya15 guest

My budget is like around 5 gs but my dad is a mechanic so we could put it in. As for the condition it has a fair few miles on it and im having to replace the fan right now but other than that it runs good, nothing majorly wrong.

az3579

Seriously, I don't think it's worth the money on it. Remember, getting it in is half the battle. Then you have to worry about getting it to work. Save up a few more grand and get an M3. ;)

:D

Autohaus guest

If you hold a sentimental value to the car, then go ahead and do the conversion. You are better off with the S50/S52 conversion. You should get the S52 as it will have at least 315hp (M coupe/roadster version). Remember to get the computer and other stuff, etc... However, you could just sell the car and put the $5K towards an E36 M3 or get an E46 M3.........Whatever you do, let us know how the conversion is going if you decide on doing it.

Arash2002tii guest

Oh sorry, somehow i read 85 instead of 95. :p

mac townsend guest

consider that emissions laws and testing may have something to say about your modifications....<G>

puma guest

I read an article in a past issue of Roundel that told the story of a guy that dropped an M3 engine into his E30 325is. He didn't change the model number on the trunk and adopted Roosevelts "Speak softly and carry a big stick".

I'd say go for it if you have the time and money.

I'm looking, in the future, to drop a S38B38 into my 93 525i Touring... when I have time and money.