Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 Convertible Top

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by tomboozer, May 19, 2008.

tomboozer guest

Just bought a 92 E30 with power top. The canvas and window are shot, so its time for a new top. The conv top frame is broken at the bottom yolk, a surprise from a twilight inspection.

Can I have the frame welded or do I face significant risk of the top frame being out of square - never the right shape? Should I cut my losses and find a new frame? Should it be a 92 power frame or will another do? I really could care less about activating the power top.

Ã…lso, get a slight grind from 2nd to 3rd - synchro going? Need to pay attention to the shift to avoid sound. Similar to a 1750 GTV I had years ago. Will this degrade? Should I start my transmission fund now?

Appreciate the feedback . Tom

Brian A

Would have to see the top

It's hard to say, without seeing the top, as to whether it can be welded or not. It's definitely worth investigating as a new frame would be expensive. It's odd to hear that the frame is broken; its not a normal thing to break. If it hasn't been traumatized too badly, I predict you will be able to both weld the top and to straighten it if necessary.

I believe all years for the E30 use the same top; at least that is what realoem implies:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...26&hg=54&fg=10

The canvas top is about $1,000 or so for parts and labor. I did mine about 4 years ago. (Needs a good frame to stretch it over.) Replacing the canvas/window is not a DIY project.

My top always was a manual, but it sounds like a lot of folks who have the glitch-prone electric tops convert them to manual operation pretty easily.

morea3ic guest

Welcome . . . .

Congrats on the car & welcome to the forum.

Best.

MGarrison

Redline MTL might help w/ the transmission...

BlueAngel M3 guest

Hello. I just purchased two 1989 BMW E30 Convertibles. I noticed when I close the door the top window closes on the edge of the top. Are these like other convertibles when you shut the door the window edges up by itself? Does mine suppose to do that and I have a bad relay or something? Please educate on this because I'm new to the E30 325i convertible tops. Thanks in advance!

az3579

I know that on modern BMWs, coupes and convertibles have a window that move up and down slightly so the window doesn't break when opening/closing the door, because of the frameless window. I'm not sure if this applied to only certain generations or even if it went as far back as the E30, but it is a possibility that the feature was still there on cars as old as E30s.

BlueAngel M3 guest

I can't wait to find out.

MGarrison

I think that was something they started doing on later cars...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

No, E30s don't have auto drop windows. You need to make sure everything is adjusted properly so that they seal out the elements and do not chafe the top.

BlueAngel M3 guest

What do u mean chafe?

MGarrison

Presumably, he means make sure the door doesn't make contact, rub against, and thus abrade (ie, cause abrasion, or wear down) the convertible top, where it would be making contact, if the top and/or door were adjusted improperly.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chafe

:)

rjcaptsean guest

I have a 91 318ic that has the same issue with the windows hitting on the top when closing the door. I have been told, but not had the time to research yet, that the windows are adjustable. Supposedly you can remove the door card and adjust the window regulator to achieve the proper height you need to allow it to seal, yet not hit on the overhand of the top. I will post more info when I get a chance to look into this.

(Thinking out loud here... fantasizing?) Another thought would be to add some kind of remote that would allow the windows to either automatically close after you shut the door as the more modern vehicles do, or perhaps you can push a button that will close them. They would have to be wired hot so there would be power to them even with the car off. Hrrmmmmm. Anyone have thoughts along this line?

BlueAngel M3 guest

I spoke today with a 91 325i and he tells me there is a wire around the top (edge of the top) that pulls it up to allow the window to shut. He told me if the wire breaks the edge of the top will flap down in the way of the window. When u get a chance check it out, I have and I felt/seen it, but can't tell if it broke. :confused: