Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E82 Window Regulator Problem

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by EvaUnit02, Mar 23, 2014.

EvaUnit02

I have an E82. I opened the door one morning to go to work, the window rolled slightly down as usual, I shut the door, and then the window make a terrible grinding noise and rolled itself down. After that, it wouldn't roll back up. The motor still worked, though.

So, I removed the door panel and took a look. I'm not sure how the window regulator is supposed to work exactly but it looked like this plastic worm thing was broken:

http://imgur.com/a/LA3ls

I took various pictures with the window "rolled up" and "rolled down." Rolling it up make the plastic worm gear-type thing move away from the larger plastic piece above it.

So my questions are:

1) Does this indeed look broken?

2) Can I replace just this plastic piece?

3) I wasn't able to find a part number on realoem.com. Does anyone happen to know what it would be or could shoot me a link to it on realoem.com?

4) Will replacing this be troublesome? It looked like it may be since it seems to go behind a piece of metal a few inches tall on the door frame. Any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

MGarrison

This?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=UC73&mospid=50622&btnr=51_6274&hg=51&fg=10

I'm not familiar with what the typical E82 window issues are, although apparently window motor regulators have been a bugaboo since, well, seemingly forever. Seems to be extremely common from E36's forward, which goes back to '92. :eek:

Not sure if any plastic gear is a primary problem and easily replaced. Check with the odometergears.com gang, they should know about that.
    EvaUnit02 likes this.

ChristopherG

EvaUnit02 likes this.

charlson89

Sadly you will need to get a new regulator. Easy to install in the E82 though but they are kinda of a pricy part. Also when you remove the motor inspect to make sure the plastic gear didn't strip out to.
    EvaUnit02 likes this.

EvaUnit02

Thanks, folks. I've ordered a new regulator.

EvaUnit02

The plastic gear did strip out. I assume that means I need a new motor, yeah?

charlson89

Yes you will need a new motor and regulator.
    EvaUnit02 likes this.