Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear window lower exterior . tips?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 339856, May 4, 2014.

Before I spend another $25 on yet another piece of the same trim piece. How do you get the far ends to remains attached to the lower corners of the rear window?

My replacement piece simply will not stay on at the corners. I scraped off as much old adhesive as I could with a rag and rubbing alcohol. I did have the dealer reattach the original piece but it never really worked.

This is an e90

Wanted to bump this. I used some duct tape at the corners of this exterior window trim piece and after letting it sit overnight it seems to be holding. My current issue is sagging in the middle. Should I just pull this piece off and start again?

MGarrison

Don't know exactly what trim piece you're referring to, but, E9X's aren't my main familiarity area anyway. However, generally speaking, when it comes to getting something to stick by adhesive to something else, the best way to ensure the best result possible is making sure the surface(s) the adhesive goes on is absolutely free and clean of everything - old glue, adhesive, adhesive tape, dirt, etc - any or all of that will likely mean the new adhesive will have a less than optimal bond. However, it is entirely possible the adhesive the factory is using isn't up to the task anyway. But, if it is, it likely takes an absolute cleaning, which means using the right kind of solvents - so, you might try some of this stuff, and, if it's like adhesive tape, it may take a couple or even more applications to get it off; &, before you ask, no, I don't know if it'll cause any problems for your particular car's paint, but, it's not a paint stripper, and I haven't had a problem with it, but that's no guarantee; just fyi, you have to assess that risk on your own terms. This stuff is great, however, for removing adhesive residue.
    It's 3M 051135-08984, General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner:

http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?1:::WLDWH6113302:1:number=051135-08984

My guess is if it's attached solely by adhesive, then your starting point is removing every last bit of the old adhesive, and I'm not sure rubbing alcohol is anywhere near enough of a solvent to do that. IF fully cleaned, un-dusty, un-linty, surface doesn't allow for maximum adhesion and solve your issue, you might have to some other adhesive that will _really_ stick it down - not sure what to suggest product-wise on that score, however.

charlson89

Please take pictures of the trim to see how it is exactly it is not attaching correctly. This way I can get the proper repair instruction for the trim.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PN73&mospid=51054&btnr=51_5644&hg=51&fg=05

It's part No 7. This piece has a groove with adhesive and is pressed into the lower edge of the rear window. The trim piece keeps sliding / sagging in places. I used a 3m automotive adhesive on the end pieces and it has worked reasonably well but now the center section is starting to sag. Perhaps I should just buy a new piece and really clean off the residue (I have goo gone).

charlson89

Yes that trim is becoming more and more common to fall off your vehicle. Best bet is to get a new one and clean the old adhesive like your said off.