Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2006 BMW M3 small oil leak

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by jfraymond, Dec 29, 2013.

jfraymond

Hi Terry -
    How is one supposed to contact a BMW CCA Technical Service Advisor? It's one of the benefits of membership, but I don't see a contact procedure anywhere on the site.

I'm the second owner of a 2006 BMW M3 with the competition package. I'm finding oil spots on the garage floor about the size of a nickel every now and then. Dealership says it needs a new head gasket, valve gasket, and timing chain seal: 33 hours labor, $5600 including parts. I would describe the situation as "weeping" a bit of oil. The dealership mechanic says the original owner didn't drive it enough: 24,000 miles in 6 years. I've put 14,000 miles on it in the one year I've owned it. Is a head gasket replacement justified? Is $5600 the going rate? I live in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Thanks,
    John Raymond
    • Staff

steven s

When logged in About --> Club Services --> TSA
    The Technical Service Advisors are also listed in Roundel.
    Expect a redesign of the website and I hope it's not a treasure hunt to find things.

Sounds like that will fix the leak. :) Whether it's leaking in all 3 places is the question.
    By addressing all those areas it sounds like you will be set. But again, is it really leaking in all 3 places?
    It certainly has the potential to leak there. And he forgot to mention the rear seal. To me it sounds like he wants to be sure it's fixed and you don't come back with another leak.

Oil on the ground every now and then? It's a BMW! A 7 year old one at that.
    I'd put a piece of cardboard under the car and not worry about it.
    But that's me. I don't consider a little oil now and then a problem.

Let me guess. That dealer is on Rockville Pike?
    I'd post on the http://nccbmwcca.org forum and ask for recommended shops in your area.

charlson89

It is very common to see head gaskets leak on on the S54 engine. And sadly not a cheap job to do but also a good time to do upgrades. The way to tell for sure if the head gasket is leaking oil is to check the exhaust side of the head toward the front of the car that is normally where it leaks. But is you see the oil coming from exhaust side of the head towards the back of the engine there is a crankcase pressure relief valve that can leak oil and is cheap fix. Good luck if you have an further questions just message me.
    • Staff

steven s

Would a leaky head gasket cause oil to leak on the ground?

charlson89

Yes depending on how bad the leak is.
    • Staff

steven s

But go back to the original post.
    Size of a nickel every now and then. That's one expensive nickel.

Note: Moving thread.

Terry Sayther

I don't see that many s54 head gasket leaks. Nor front and rear seal leaks. There is a pressure relief device next to the head gasket on the pass side that more commonly does leak and the valve cover gaskets can leak---I'd certainly want to wash off the old oil thoroughly and see where fresh oil comes out.
    I'd go elsewhere for a second opinion. Look at BIMRS.ORG for shops that I'd trust.