Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Nav system questions - 2014 328d

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by pilotjoe, Dec 22, 2013.

pilotjoe So soon old, so late smart!

Hi All!

We recently took delivery of a 2014 328d xDrive, and I have some questions on the nav system....

1) Is there anywhere I can download a .pdf or other digital copy of the Nav/Entertainment/Communication manual for my car? I found the Owner Manual on the BMW site, but could not find the Nav Manual.

2) The manual briefly mentions importing trips via the USB connection. However, it does not go into detail as to where these trips are created. The manual also does not indicate what format is used for the trip files (i.e., are they .gpx files like a garmin would use, or TomTom, or???). What I'm getting at is, could I create trips via some program like Tyre or similar and then import them to the BMW nav system?

3) The manual explains how to store destinations as "contacts". Are these contacts separate from the "contacts" on my iPhone, or are they integrated, or both?

Any help or info anyone could offer on these questions would be greatly appreciated. So far (just over 500 miles) we really like the car, and continue to learn the systems and features. This is our first BMW, which replaces our 2009 Audi A4. Some things are similar, some are different, but overall we are really happy with our choice. But as this is the first car we've ever owned with a built-in nav system we're still getting up to speed.

Thanks in advance!

MGarrison

Hopefully somebody here has some insight, I sure don't!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. Nav system, nav system...
    Oh, wait: I use Wazer!
    pilotjoe likes this.

charlson89

The manual for the nav system is built into the idrive under vehicle info and will most you need to learn about basic nav stuff. Personally the USB trip download is not the best way. I like to use google maps and then have it sent to my vehicle over BMW assist. The contacts for the nav system are using the contacts in your phone that have addresses stored with them. Now that only works with certain phones to check which phones do what go to BMW USA/ bluetooth. Any other questions please do ask and enjoy the new car!
    pilotjoe likes this.

pilotjoe So soon old, so late smart!

Thanks much for the info. I've been checking out the google maps option, and will give it a try.

Much appreciated!!