Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

how to handle a dealer that misguides on a service

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by 343540, Dec 10, 2013.

We are long term BMW fans with several models under our belt and family that feel the same.
    Recently we took our 2010 bmw 328 to our local dealer for a "service" which they said was under warranty. Evidently we were right on the cusp of the warranty-athough at the time of the service they said we were covered.

Two weeks later I get a phone call and I'm told that they could not get reembursed for the service as we were evidently a couple of days outside the "service warranty." They now want me to pay for the service. It goes without saying I'm not going to pay. If I said that to my clients then I could not get reembursed-I would eat it especially if I told them it was a service I would handle.

This is an expensive oil change/service and if not under warranty or told ahead of time of the cost I would have perhaps made another choice.

Am I wrong-or are we to be totaly complicit to these practices.
    I look to the group for some feedback.

Thanks all.
    Pa ProjectOscar

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

To me it's simple. Point to the date of the service. Point to the date of expiration of the warranty. Tell them that they need to honor the warranty and if not you would like to take it up with the BMW area service representative. If they don't back down, then tell them that if they don't refer you, then you'll take it up independently in the grounds that they are not honoring the contract of warranty service. One of the benefits of BMWCCA is that they can hook you up with people to help mediate.

(BTW, the expiration date of your warranty period should be listed somewhere on your previous service paperwork, or original purchase information).

Good luck!

charlson89

Agreed with what was said above. If the RO was opened on the date the vehicle was in warranty and the closed date of that RO was after the vehicle went out of warranty then it will be covered no problem. If an advisor told you wrong about having warranty coverage then thats on the dealership. Good luck with this hope it all works out for you.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Seems like short tear thinking on the part of the dealer. This should have been squared away upon your arrival for the service. If not, it is on the dealer.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Short term thinking - darn auto correct... :)

Thanks All- I sent them an email to that affect. Tried to call first but they didn't return my voce mail.
    PaProjectoscar

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Email is better than phone anyway, as it provides a written record. One other thing is that you might want to proactively contact BMW to discuss with them the difficulties that you're having. You might be surprised at how quickly this goes away when BWM gets involved. Additionally, you don't want this dragging out and these bozos referring you to a collections agency.

No matter how this plays out, I think that in your shoes I would be looking for someone else to maintain my car in the future.

Pyewacket1

As a comparison, my daughter recently picked up a nail in her right front tire on her recently purchased (new) Subaru Crosstrek (purchased in SC). She's now in CA, so she went to the local dealer for a new tire. The servicing dealer mistakenly identified her car as having the additional wheel/tire coverage, so they replaced the $280 Yokahama tire (tire + labor) at no charge. After she left the dealership, they found they were in error, when they attempted to enter the charges for reimbursement from Subaru.

The service advisor calked my daughter and told her about the error, but instead of attempting to collect from her, it was a "courtesy call" to let her know she did, in fact, not have the extended wheel/tire coverage. At no time did the dealership attempt to induce her to pay the charges, and they simply told her to remember them if she ever needed any service work done.

To say I was amazed at such good treatment from any dealership would be an understatement.

Sounds like this BMW dealer is being penny-wise and pound-foolish.