Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Electrical Guru Needed.

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by mrsbee, Nov 17, 2013.

mrsbee guest

So, let me run this by you - tell me what you think - honest opinion as to if it's legit or not.

...the antenna has malfunctioned and has been drawing a constant current from the battery causing to it get drained while not in operation...

I guess my first instinct tells me the antenna would just go bad and stop working altogether, not work twenty times as hard.

Should I go with this, or should I be leery?
    • Staff

steven s

Antenna draws current?

CRKrieger

I suppose she's referring to the antenna MOTOR. Personally, I'd either run it up (if I were disposed toward listening to broadcast music) and pull the fuse or run it down and pull the fuse. Never heard of one drawing constantly.

Terry Sayther

you say the 'antenna has malfunctioned'---what are your observations that lead to that conclusion? Is this a retracting antenna or a fixed antenna?
    Retracting antennas often stick because the mast gets dirty or bent---that can cause a key-off drain. The mechanism has plastic gears inside that can strip, jamming the mechanism and causing a parastic load. The motor itself can short and draw current.
    A non-retracting fixed antenna can be boosted and may have a solid state system with a current draw, though we've never seen this.

charlson89

On your vehicle unless you have a convert your antenna is built into the back glass of the vehicle. There are diversity modules for these rear antenna's that could be causing the draw. Has anybody ran a draw test on the vehicle to make sure it is that module doing it?

Terry Sayther

Man, I love that kind of talk! he's right---do a parasitic load test and trace down the source of the draw.

mrsbee guest

What I was told (keep in mind the car isn't actually going to be in my possession until January), was that they traced the drain back to the antenna, which they replaced. With that being said, I'm guessing that they did the "parasitic load test" and it came back with a large flashing neon arrow pointing at the antennae. I was just probing around to see if this is something that I should accept as a long term fix or if the boys at the shop are just telling the owner the first thing they saw on the forums.

I'm going to have to bite my nails until further notice to find out if the problem has been rectified though, the owner is on vacation...the car is still at the shop...

I'm guessing these next two months leading up to me picking it up are going to lead to a few new wrinkles and a grey hair or two.

charlson89

I just noticed that this is in the E24 section and you are not talking about your E82 :confused:. Sorry about that thought I read it in general discussion section I'll read better before I open my mouth. Terry is correct about the antenna motor/ module itself being the issue.

mrsbee guest

Meh, it's okay. What is more embarrassing is that I actually sat there and THOUGHT about it. Was there even a cabriolet made?
    • Staff

steven s

I moved it. Thought it was for your new shark. Which car is that about?