Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What did you do to/for your BMW today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by E46BAV90, May 18, 2011.

MGarrison

Hmmm... convertible.... options.... can't do it in the driveway due to the HOA? No desire to put the top down, pull it in the other way, just climb out leaving the doors closed, proceed with other-side waxing, and commence with re-parking is the re-verse of re-moval from the ga-rage?? ;)
    • Staff

steven s

Replaced valve cover gasket in the M42. Still smell oil. Hopefully it's just the old oil burning off.
    The first spark plug had a pool of oil in it.

Use some brake cleaner to degrease the cover.
    Didn't bother blasting it clean.

floydarogers

Filled my active DEF tank. It appears that the passive tank is full - perhaps the transfer pump is toast.
    • Staff

steven s

Installed chrome rings on my 96.

The before is my M3 cluster.
    I cracked the top removing it to swap with my 95.
    After replacing my 95 cluster in my other car I used the front portion to fix my 96.

This time I removed the steering wheel not to crack it again.

Since I have chrome rings around the speaker and knobs I've always wanted to do this.

Super easy to install.
    I did notice some flashing that could have been removed before installing them.
    Not a big deal.

I never noticed that circle below 160.
    Got the rings from http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Gauge-Rings

Attached Files:

• Staff

steven s

Swapped gauges from another cluster which seems to have fixed a stuck water temp gauge.
    Repositioned wires at the ignition switch to fix chime always on when door open and no key in ignition.
    Sucked out water from storage compartment in hatch.
    Sucked out sand from underneath storage compartments.
    Now how did that get there? Superstorm Sandy?
    Ordered missing filler plug for hatch.

Brake fluid flush
    Replaced oil filter (1/2 interval)
    Noticed 1 bolts missing from each bracket that holds the rear subframe bushings.
    I had rear subframe bushings replaced twice. Who knows how long they've been missing?
    Installed M8 bolts from Advance until I get the proper bolts.
    Found right front stabilizer link bent. Will order L/R links.
    Reinstalled loose rubber hanger for exhaust.
    Glued plastic supports to door panel.

Mini
    Added 1/4 qt. It's not leaking so it must be burning.
    Fixed e-brake handle boot

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Since the top is always down, I suppose I COULD drive in frontways with room on the passenger side, then clamber over the console—OW! MY SHIN!—and plant one foot in the middle of the red leather seat before—OOPS! THE HANDBRAKE CAUGHT MY ANKLE!—doing a faceplant on the concrete.

Or I could park Party A's 335i outside for half an hour, position the roadster in the middle of the garage, and finish cleaning it. The problem is finding that half hour.
    MGarrison likes this.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Washed, clay barred and waxed.

Gotta love Interlagos blue after a good wax job. :)

IMG_2778 - Version 2.jpg
    besweder likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Glorious indeed! The best part of Alpine White is that even if you don't wash it for a while, it looks okay.
    The worst part of Alpine White is that even if you clean it, polish it, clay it, and wax it, it looks okay.

Thanks!

I know exactly how you feel. My 911 is Glacier White and it looks great all the time. Right now I know it's really dirty and needs a bath, but you would only know if you looked closely... makes you wonder why we put so much work into detailing.
    • Staff

steven s

Lets see.
    95 Club Sport
    Replaced t-stat

Mini
    Cleared P0456 evap code.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I really meant to clean the wheels this week, but...

Dragkar

but? :)

granthr

Resealed my fuel pump at the tank with seal-all on my 200k 325ix. It weeps and I can't get it out to replace the o ring. Seal-all seems to work.

Terry Sayther

I'll be very surprised if this repair lasts very long. I think you're going to have to get that pump out to replace the seal. There's a technique using two large screw drivers leaning against each other to unscrew the pump. Very hard to describe, but easy to do---the factory manual has a picture I think. Good luck, Terry

Ken.S.330

Replaced the air filter in my E90 with the N52 engine. Put in a new Mann filter purchased from Amazon. I guess you could say I'm a "Mann's man". HA, I crack myself up.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You replaced the air filter with an engine?!

:confused:
    besweder and kgmoodyz3 like this.
    • Staff

steven s

Replaced radiator and 2 hoses on the 95 318ti Club Sport.
    Took a couple of attempts until I realized I needed to transfer parts from the old radiator to the new one. :)
    Super easy on this one. No clutch fan to remove. Only the electric.

granthr

Trust me, I have tried that. It started to "strip" the places where you put the two screw drivers. The pump is basically rusted to the tank. So instead of ending up with a bigger mess, like the pump not going back in after I open it, I decided to seal it in place. It only weeped on a full tank, 30 miles into a full tank it would stop. But the seal-all works very well.

Today, moth balled the M3 for the winter :( and put my studded snow tires on the ix. :D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Opened the garage door. Yes, the car is still there. I drove it the other day, it it responded to the key with reluctance—you know, the Too Lazy To Hook Up The Battery Tender, Are We? dance.

Yup, did the same thing on Saturday. Installed the winter tires on Sunday. Still sitting there today - drove the 911 for 2 days of rain (the M3 is currently the cleanest of the two cars) and will drive the M3 tomorrow when the sun comes out. :)