Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

water leaks - window and hatch

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by steven s, Oct 28, 2013.

• Staff

steven s

95 ti
    So I notice water in the bottom of both of my doors.
    Sedan style doors.
    Also notice the weather seals with a gap in the rubber. The seal that is secured to the door.
    Replace both sides. Still leaks.

Also have water coming in my hatch.
    Replaced the seal.

With the hatch open I sprayed water along the outside portion and there is a slow drip that gets into the hatch. Almost as if there is an open seam in the body.

charlson89

For the front doors I would look into the vapor barriers they could be ripped allowing water to come in. Where are seeing the water in the hatch come in at?
    • Staff

steven s

The car was missing vapor barriers when I bought it. I have 2 new ones sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.
    Just waiting on missing plastic supports to come in to attach the door panels.
    The part is called insulation.

I've read elsewhere about the vapor barrier. Isn't the vapor barrier what gets installed between the door and door panel? Is it normal for water to accumulate at the bottom of the door?

Hatch,
    It's below the right channel that runs on the outside of the weatherstripping.
    I'm going to remove the carpet to see if I see any light coming in.

The barrier looks something like this.

51487114714.JPG

Terry Sayther

If water actually builds up in the doors, like sloshing water in the door, almost certainly the drains of the door itself are plugged. Look underneath the door with the door open for holes designed to allow water to escape.
    If the water is getting into the door and then collecting inside the car on the floor----that's commonly a vapor barrier issue [ the thing in your picture]. Replacing the barrier is not enough---it must be very carefully attached to the door. We have used many types of adhesive---spray trim adhesive, 3M weatherstrip adhesive, liquid nails, right stuff, others---none of those work well. We now use some 3M tar like material---dum-dum---that comes in a roll. We unroll enough to go across the bottom of the door and press it between the door and the vapor barrier----one continuous bead all the way across with no gaps. The door has to be completely clean for adhesion. Many times we have had to do it twice. Test with a hose on the glass. Not much fun.
    • Staff

steven s

I'm still not understanding.
    The water does drain out of the bottom of the door. There is an open drain hole.
    This is normal?

I have a buytl adhesive to affix the barrier to the door.

MGarrison

I wonder if 3M adhesive cleaner would be a good way to go for cleaning the door... I'm guessing your butyl adhesive falls within the range of things Terry's tried in the past, but you can check that out; dum-dum sounds good to me, that stuff seems to stay gooey forever.
    • Staff

steven s

From what I am reading, dum dum is butyl.
    I'm still concerned whether some water is normal, as long as it drains.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html
    MGarrison likes this.

charlson89

Yes water in the door is normal for the drain system on most cars. As Terry said if it pools and sloshes in the door that is not and you probably have a plugged drain hole. The water actually comes in from the window weather stripping and is normal since that area for window operation can't be 100% sealed. Yes you have the right picture of the barriers and dum dum and butyl is the same stuff. Yah that stuff is real fun to work with :rolleyes:. As for the hatch not sure I can picture in my head the area your talking about can you attach a pic of the area?
    • Staff

steven s

Well that's good to know that it's normal.
    I don't feel I wasted money replacing the trim along the window though.
    It has cracked anyway.
    Once I get my remaining parts for the door panel, I'll finally get the doors closed up.

Next to my hatch leak and a idle problem. But that's for another thread.
    • Staff

steven s

I can't figure out why water is coming in through the hatch.
    Water is coming in through the seam and along the opposite side down the roof roof line.
    I sealed a seal above and the one below. Maybe not enough?
    The drain appear to be working.

leak.jpg