Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Not a BMW school

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by steven s, Oct 14, 2013.

• Staff

steven s

I had made some comments about the driver's steering inputs elsewhere about this video.
    Before I post my comments, I wonder if others can comment.
    I could be all wrong.

ChristopherG

The right hand continually going to the 12 position on the wheel and bunching up with the left hand on the left hand turns looks awkward.
    • Staff

steven s

I tried doing that and it strains my right shoulder. BTW- He runs the 'school'.

Terry Sayther

Hey Steven, speaking of schools. Do you know about CCA driving instructor schools? I've heard that they exist, but know nothing more. Terry
    • Staff

steven s

Some chapters have an ITS program for instructors. Contact your nearest chapter that hosts schools.

MGarrison

Well, on the one hand (ha, ha), whatever works. Then there's whatever works better, or perhaps best. Looks like a case of lazy left hand/elbow to me, although one has to allow for the seemingly-remote possibility of some physical issue or constraint. Really, looks like his right hand is doing all the work, and he's pretty comfortable just ploppin' that ol' left elbow over there on the armrest much of the time - good luck with the skid recovery trying to move the steering wheel fast enough with the left hand being limited due to the elbow being more-or-less locked on the armrest if things get out of control. If he did the left turns like he did right ones, we might say all good.

In the past, I was told due to the muscle groups primarily being used, one can make smoother steering inputs pulling the wheel rather than pushing; he's pulling the wheel down on right hand turns, but pushng it so his right hand is way over on left hand turns. Not only is that less likely to be the smoothest of inputs, having both hands together like that means he doesn't have his hands positioned to instantly start countersteering if the rear of the car steps out to the right. One advantage of keeping one's hands opposite each other In the10-8 0'clock & 2-4 zones, you can keep the hand opposite of the direction you're turning at the high side, and ready to initiate countersteer instantly, if needed. Another issue with having the right hand over like that and bunched up with the other hand is not only awkward positioning while doing it, but both the position and muscle groups primarily used would make it quite difficult to finesse any inputs, or make small adjustments, and make them just right. Much easier to make fine adjustments with your wrists, with hands opposite each other, than with both hands balled-up together and @ 9 or 3, or lower on the wheel.
    • Staff

steven s

It takes a lot of muscle to turn to the left like that.
    The thing that scares me is he is an 'instructor' and runs a school.
    If he gets into a crisis situation, he's in trouble AFAIK.

I try to keep my hands in one position and probably shuffle steer more than I need to.
    I do like to think my inputs are smooth.
    I'll have to record my steering next time.

CRKrieger

Well, let's see:

Big racy door numbers on a non-caged car with 3-point belts ... Strike One.

REALLY poor hand position almost everywhere. In spite of those P-Car guys with 2-turn lock-to-lock steering boxes who insist you don't need it, I TEACH shuffle steering. We teach it on skidpads, too. The best control is 9-10 and 2-3 o'clock positions, so get your hands there as often as possible. This guy really IS lazy, with his left arm propped up on the armrest. All we can hope for is an object lesson in why you don't want your arm across the middle of the wheel when the airbag blows ... Strike Two (and a broken nose).

His car says, "Red Dawg". That really offends me because MY red E28 was 'Da Red Dawg' a decade ago. This is a mere pretender. STEEE-RIKE THREE!

Frankly, I wouldn't let him advance out of Intermediate Level driving like that.
    • Staff

steven s

I cringe watching it. This guy instructs and on top of it the person who pointed the video out to me says he's one of the best. And I've seen this other person's videos. You can see him driving cone to cone. When I mentioned that to him he told me the cones where in the right places. Really? Cones move throughout the day. I hate cones. I didn't know the track. You could see him early everywhere. I told him tracks don't install kerbing beyond apexs or track out. Scary. DF knows who I'm talking about.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

With students like this, I am tempted to Zip-tie their hands at 9 and 3 o'clock. Oh, wait: He's an instructor?!
    I try to drive at 9 and 3. But I am a rally guy: When all hell breaks loose, I have been known to have NEITHER hand on the wheel through a three-way tank-slapper...

Perhaps it's a case of "do as I say, and not, for Christ's sake, as I do..."