Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M30 Valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Eddie C. Henry, Oct 7, 2013.

Eddie C. Henry

Been a BMWCCA club member for many years. We own a 2004 Z4, 1983 633 CSi and 1990 735i. Always though the valve train on my M30 engines was a little noisy. Finally learned how to perform valve adjustment. Not as difficult as I had imagined. Got them both done in a weekend. Oh what a difference.
    floydarogers likes this.

Terry Sayther

That valve adjustment should be done every 15,000 miles. You might want to find a tool called a 'go/no go' feeler gauge to make consistency and accuracy easier. That gauge has a step machined into it. For example, the end of the gauge is machined to be .012 inches and the non-machined portion is .014 inches. The thin end goes in and the thicker part does not. Consistent and accurate.
    Another practice we follow is starting at the first valve and going to the back without skipping around. And then when we're done with the first pass, going back and checking every one again. Also remember that tight valves get damaged, loose ones just make noise. Terry
    floydarogers and MGarrison like this.

floydarogers

Ahhh, I remember those days ('77 530i) fondly. Takes me back to when I re-built that sucker and pulled the emissions equipment and put on some Stahl headers. Was a screamer. I've kept the same colors on my current car in memory.

Keep em running!

Terry Sayther

I had a '77 530 too---with Stahl headers. Great car. Later I put in a Euro 10:1 cr 3.5 liter--what a fun car. I still have one, a '79, but it has an automatic. I need a 5sp parts car to do that conversion and then it will be right. Got one? Terry

floydarogers

Kind of wish I did still have one, sorry. Been kind of keeping my eye open for a 528i...

Terry Sayther

This one could be yours---come get it!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Say, Terry, will my step gauges work on the S54? Seems like they should...

Terry Sayther

Sure, but for the s54 you'll also need a pad of paper, a micrometer, maybe a calculator, and an assortment of replacement shims. And some patience. Fortunately not often needed. My favorite engine.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

That's why I had Carl do it!

:)