Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Headlight treatments

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MichaelADavisSr745Li, May 12, 2008.

MichaelADavisSr745Li guest

I am looking for suggestions on cleaning my headlight lens. I see many products advertised and I am looking to see if nay of you have used anything that you would suggest.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael

snikwad guest

i dunno, but once you do clean it, lamin-x it.

bradley01 guest

Lamin-X? Do tell!

I have heard...heard...that you can use a Power Ball and Flitz to restore the luster to your headlamp lenses. Seen other people use it on their cloudy Jeep Wrangler plastic windows. Worked wonders!!!

Thanks.....nice Avatars!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

BTW...Nice avatars!!!

bradley01 guest

Muchas Grassyass!

BTW...I still can't figure out wtf Snikwad's is! LMFAO! ;-)

Bimmerdan

I've used Meguiar's PlastX on the headlight lenses of my E36's and had great results! It definitely works better with a buffer than by hand but you should get good results either way.

Nice Strays...

Thanks Bimmer.

BTW...nice collection of strays that ya got there. ;)

Bimmerdan

Thanks! You know, when they look up at you with those sad faces, I just can't turn them away...:D

M3Driver guest

Haven't used it myself, but here is a pretty trick-looking kit from Bavarian Auto (www.bavauto.com)

That said, I HAVE used the Meguair's PlastX with great results.:)
    ======================================

Get rid of scratches and yellowing in your plastic headlight covers. Now you can restore both the appearance and safety of your BMW¹s plastic headlight systems, almost to original condition. The kit includes a special restoration compound called PolyClear, plus applicators and buffers that work with your power drill to renew your headlights in a matter of minutes. Also great for motorcycle windshields, boat windows, bimini tops, acrylic skylights and more. (Tip: after restoring your headlights, install our urethane headlight shields to prevent further damage and to give them a "like-new" appearance.)

Part Number Description Price Qty.
    PH-DIY
    PolyClear Plastic Refinishing Kit

$34.95

northern-monkey guest

how good are these cleaners, I have a scuff on one lense and I was ready to buy another cover , does the mcguires product work and can you get it at petboys ?

snikwad guest

Google lamin-x, its basically a clear or colored film, kinda like the 3M clear bra, but better, cut ti fit lights and body panels.
    They don't fade and turn yellow like 3M sometimes does.
    You can buy kits just for headlights and turn signals, or fogs, or bumpers and hood. Whiche ver you want. Light covers come in thick and thin, yellow, clear, smoked, or damn near blacked out.

The plastic-x and mother plastic polish work pretty well, but with my 99 having over 150k miles, I'm just gonna replace em once I do my xenon upgrade retrofit.

snikwad guest

Thanks To All...

Your feedback has been very helpful. That is why I like this site so much. Have a GREAT day!

Michael

northern-monkey guest

thanks for your update and help, I will check it out at the week end
    cheers

phanley

I found that using a fine polish (I used menzerna finishing polish) does a far better job than Meguiar's Plastix. Initially, the Plastix looks nice, but after a week it was already looking pretty shabby. To me, it seemed to be more of a dressing than a cleaner or polish. The Menzerna polish keeps the lenses looking great for a while-I just touched up after 6 weeks but didn't need to. I used the Menzerna Final Polish because I had it on hand, any fine/finishing grade of paint polish would work fine.

jburke4689 guest

Lens Cleaner

Maguires definitely works. We used it on the plastic windows of Cobra helicopters for years. I think they are only a little more expensive than BMW lenses.

northern-monkey guest

:p:
    good to see a bit of humor ................. do cobra helicopters make lense covers fro the E60 :D

Sooner79

There's a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant that comes in a spray bottle that is a UV protectant that when used after you polish your lenses, will keep them clear for quite a long time. It can be purchased on-line but I got mine at a marine supply store.

phanley

I'll have to give that a shot. I've used 303 to spruce up the engine bay, and it works great.