Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Reprogramming a used ABS module

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by kenthalquist, Sep 15, 2013.

kenthalquist

Has anyone had to reprogram an ABS module after replaceing the ABS pump and module?
    2007 328i

Terry Sayther

Ouch! The pump should be electrically actuated for proper bleeding. Also coded to match the car, maybe no programming.

Terry Sayther

Oh, your title sez USED ABS mudule---I'll have to ask if that's possible.

charlson89

Programming depends on what kind of car it came out of. But yes it will need to be coded to your vehicle.

Terry Sayther

After a consultation here, we think a used ABS control unit would transfer to your car, and would not need programming to work. In fact it can only be programmed once, so it will stay programmed to it's original car. That won't matter, though since they are similar cars. It will have to be coded, a lesser issue. I wouldn't be afraid to do it on my own car.

kenthalquist

Thanks Terry,
    I tried Autoenginuity software to attemp to bump the pump and open the valves, but those options were not available for the 2007 328, so I filled all lines and the ABS unit with brake fluid, and power bled the entire system.
    Brakes felt great, hard pedal, not mushy. I reinstall the old control module on the new used pump, since all codes were indicating a bad pump motor, and bad pump motor connector.
    Now after driving around today, all lights are cleared and it seems to be working properly.
    This has me wondering, because the codes wouldn't clear using a GT1 the day before and now they cleared on their own.
    No telling how long this used pump sat on the shelf. I got it at Lonestar Auto Parts here in Houston TX.

Terry Sayther

Great!! Very good idea separating the units---I should have thought of that. Congratulations on a difficult job well done. Terry

kenthalquist

Spoke too soon. Lights are all back on again today.
    Haven't had a chance to check the codes, but I'm sure they are the same as before, lending me to believe the problem is in the module.
    I can calibrate the steering angle sensor to the new module but I've never had to recode one. Any advice.

charlson89

Did you have codes for the steering angle sensor before?

kenthalquist

No, but when I installed the new ABS module it did have a steering angle error.

Terry Sayther

You say lights, 'plural'---what lights are on? And you'll definitely want to see what codes have returned---let us know.