Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Power Steering Reservoir Maintenance

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by kearnsclan, Apr 22, 2010.

kearnsclan guest

Any advice on how often to change out PS Reservoir.

Understand the filter for the PS pump is in the reservoir unit and cannot be changed without replacing the reservoir.

Correct??

Need some advice on this.

thx
    • Staff

steven s

Correct on E36s, I'd imagine it's the same on others.

kearnsclan guest

PS Reservoir Change interval

Any recs of how often to change the reservoir??

thx
    • Staff

steven s

I had mine changed out because I was having steering issues.
    The fluid looked like old chocolate milk. Ended up needing a steering pump but it made sense to replace the reservoir at the same time.

I've never heard it being a maintenance item.
    Personally if your fluid doesn't look bad and you are having no leaks, I'd hold off.

bcweir

• Staff

steven s

bcweir

Yeah I understood that

It's why I told him that if it's not leaking, leave it (the reservoir) alone.

I just use my oil extractor to pull the fluid out of the reservoir every oil change

So that means that every 5k miles the PS system gets a partial fluid change. Currently at 125 with no leaks or noise or anything. I suppose if the hose coming out of the bottom of the reservoir started to leak, I'd change it out. Do this on all my cars, never a problem.
    Cheers!

wgarrjr

The reservoirs/filters are relatively cheap and easy to replace. If your power steering fluid is dirty, it means that your filter has stopped filtering effectively and is dirty too. If you price power steering pumps and racks, you will gladly change the reservoir, flush the system with fresh fluid, and bleed out the air. Just compare the looks of new vs. dirty fluid and you will see the obvious difference. You should not have to do this more often than once a year. Partial fluid changes are fine, as long as you are not just adding a few ounces to fluid that is already contaminated. Really, it is not that difficult at all. If you compare "genuine BMW" reservoirs (pricey) with some "alternative" brands, you can sometimes find where the "BMW" has been scratched off or ground off so the the supplier could sell inventory outside of the BMW supply chain.

charlson89

I replace my fluid every 30,000 miles and 60,000 miles I replace the fluid and the reservoir. Ever since e36 we have been putting filters in are reservoirs.
    • Staff

steven s

Are you saying that there are now removable filters since ~1999?

charlson89

No starting with the E36 era BMW put filters in the container. Before that they did not have filters.

Terry Sayther

Didn't e30 cars use the same reservoir/filter as e36? Old Coupes and even Bavarias had replaceable filters inside the reservoir. I think they didn't have filters before that [note the use of weasel words].

charlson89

I believe they did have the same reservoir for the later years of the e30 (don't know the exact year) but the early one's had a different reservoir. I think they look the same but maybe different manufactures. I did not know they had filters in the coupes and bavarias let alone being replaceable. Learn something new every day thanks Terry.
    • Staff

steven s

I thought they might have been removable after the E36.

Terry Sayther

Only removable as a reservoir/ filter assy. They do have separate part numbers now for filters going to cars with steering that uses auto trans fluid or the hi dollar CHF11s mineral oil; that's new. We have a cynical suspicion that the only difference is the label on the cap.