Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What is the best after market product to boost horsepower?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by michaelanthony, Sep 3, 2013.

michaelanthony

I just purchased a 2011 328i and was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to increase the horsepower and what they would recommend to others.

Thanks

Michael

MR.E-Nigma Never settle on the Rest, Focus on the best!

congrats on the new car, i haven't started on performance just yet but i was going to start with the exhaust from remus, intake from afe. I do recommend if you haven't gotten it yet the BMW performance brake, i have them and they are great so far.

charlson89

Nice new ride, the engine in your vehicle is called a N52 and that engine is pretty well tuned from the factory. The best upgrades for this engine is a cold air intake, software for the ecu, exhaust. Other then that not to much with out going extreme like turbo, supercharger.

michaelanthony

Thank you for your suggestion, it's on my list.

Michael

Terry Sayther

Make sure you don't get a HOT air intake! Many of the aftermarket 'free-flowing' intakes do not wall off their air source from hot under hood air. Hot air is lower density than cold air and will actually lower HP compared to stock.

michaelanthony

Thank you, are your familiar with familiar with Bavarian Auto parts? I was thinking about this product?

Showing products for 2011 328i Sedan.

[IMG]
    (Click for a larger image)
    If you want more power out of your BMW, you need to let more air in! To keep engine noise at an "acceptable" level, BMW encases the stock air filter in a restrictive housing. Installing this aFe Stage 2 intake kit replaces that housing, allowing more air to enter the engine for 56 percent more airflow. You get stepped-up performance you can both feel and hear. This kit produces an additional 12 horsepower and 15 foot pounds of torque over stock. Installation is a simple, bolt-on procedure that directly replaces the stock air filter housing.
    • Staff

steven s

I think the best way to get more out of your car is a BMW CCA driving school.
    wellardmac likes this.

Terry Sayther

Steven is absolutely correct AND that BAV AUTO filter looks good.

charlson89

Yes the filter looks good it is made by a good company AFE is well known. I have used bav auto many times and is a very good company.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Agreed.

A CAF is a waste of money. A lot of hype, but not a lot of horsepower... but they do often make their owners feel like they've done something. My 911 had one that was installed by the first owner when I bought it. I recently removed it, as I was tired of it tripping a check engine light from contaminating the MAF and noticed no difference. Those that have put their cars on a dyno before and after install typically see changes that are within the margin of error for the test.
    • Staff

steven s

Agreed.
    I have a CAI and love the sound. Requires more maintenance in cleaning the foam filter.
    I can't remember the last time I cleaned it. :(
    If it was a stock drop in filter I'd change it more often.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Yeah, they're a pain in the ass. I never cleaned mine, as it never got to the point where it needed it, but I went through 3 mass airflow sensors due to that POS. Factory oiled and great at killing the MAF.

With regard to noise, I've heard people say they make a nice noise. On my car it made no difference when I removed it, as I also have an aftermarket exhaust system and the noise from there sets the sound of the car more than the CAF ever did.