Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Nikki wants to go Digital---NO THANKS

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by weezl, Jul 9, 2013.

weezl

Digital is indeed a nice way to see (some) things. I value the Roundel magazine, not so much the digital version. I have had enough of digital in my life. I read Roundel on the airplane, lounging at the beach, before a snooze on the couch. I don't want digital in my life sometimes. On the plane, I can't even access digital content. Fine for saving trees, but boy don't take away my magazine.

Please dispense with the all-digital stuff, it will be the demise of the world, let alone BWCCA...
    andrenmendes likes this.

kgmoodyz4

I too like to have a paper newsletter or magazine to hold in my hands and read. I spend too much time with digital items while at work magazines give me a chance to get away and relax. But, when costs outweigh the benefits, it should be looked at on a case by case basis.
    andrenmendes likes this.

MGarrison

The Roundel is one thing, chapter newsletters another. I too would be bitterly disappointed if the club ever quit offering a print Roundel and went digital only; Ugh.

The tree @ VIR notwithstanding (apparently it withstood all it could), I'm not too worried about trees - they'll grow more. Root out the stump, plant another oak in it's place, and in another 70-90 yrs. there will be another big ol' grand tree right in the same ol' spot. Sure, it's a shame to lose it, but just like wazzisface said in "Top Gun" to Maverick after Goose bought it with an unfortunate canopy collision, "There will be others."

The best way to treat all members is to offer the largest array of options practicable, and be as accommodating as is reasonably possible to all member's preferences, whatever they may be. If National still sends every chapter newsletter mailing labels every month, then it does become a logistical hassle for a chapter to try to offer members the option to opt-out from receiving a printed newsletter. Imagine locating and plucking the self-adhesive labels of the opt-out-members off the sheets of mailing labels; oh, the joy. Unless National decides to somehow integrate that and make it possible, it's a bit of a task for a chapter to assume. It could offer chapters some cost savings though, assuming they generate e-versions of their newsletters and have member's emails to send them. Probably would be a bit much to just tell chapter members that they can download the chapter newsletter on X-date every quarter or whatever, and expect it to be seen by more than just a few, though.

1: "Did you see the chapter newsletter?"

2: "We have a newsletter? Had no idea!"

If budget constraints are an issue, local fund-raising efforts can always be tried.

One forgotten downside to the whole electronic-cyber realm... it depends on electronic technology. Dinosaurs.... anyone know anyone (well, ok, adult anyones) who's never experienced a power outage? Computer crash? BSOD? A failure of technology in some way or another that resulted in, at a minimum, some kind of inconvenience? As reliable as it all is, going all-digital places you at the mercy of the ultimate reliability of electronic infrastructure and it's supporting technology - any of that fails, boom, yer outta luck, bucko - no web-only Roundel Weekly for you! At least, until the power's back on, your smart-pad is charged up, your modem is replaced or firmware-updated, your connection to wireless re-connects, you're in range of the next cell-tower.... &tc!

1LRM3

ditto! need a hard copy of the Roundel... one of the reasons I just joined up was to get the magazine and keep each issue in an archive.

mrsbee guest

Let me clarify a couple of things, but not in a defensive way, just a hey - this is what I'm looking at.

I don't ever EVER want to get rid of the paper copy of the Roundel, and that will never change. From a marketing standpoint we get lots of credibility through that magazine. The issues that grace dealerships and coffee tables all over the country speak volumes that typical advertisements and the internet never can match. The excitement of breaking the plastic on a new issue is an experience that might only be over done by some sort of exchange of bodily fluid. Printing is expensive, yes, but from a certain standpoint it pays off.

Advertisers are going to be more apt to run ads in a paper copy than they are in an all digital copy, or at least that's what I've found. What needs to be explained is that the advertisers that run in Chapter Newsletters would benefit from having a digital copy even more than a paper copy. Being online, the ads that run can be hyperlinked and direct readers to the more information and details about the product/services offered. In paper print, a reader is able to look at an ad and flip the page without investigating it in more detail.

Agreed, Marshall, that the internet and technology dependence is a little out of whack, and there is a line that should be drawn. I don't condone the use of technology for ever aspect of life, but there are some times that having something easily accessible is down right handy, such as waiting at the Doctors office, sudden traffic jams, and webinars. These are situations that you might spontaneously find yourself needing something to occupy your time and might not have PLANNED to pack that latest edition of your chapter newsletter or the current heavy copy of Roundel.

This is our chapters "online" edition. I think it reads pretty well, and if you're to put that on paper, it looks even more impressive, but even more expensive.

In no way shape or form do I want technology or surplus thereof to turn people away from the club. We shall build bridges, cross them, or at least meet in the middle and push each other off.

iRoadster

MGarrison

Nice-lookin' newsletter - newsletter editor is one of the most work-intensive, time-consuming, and thankless volunteer jobs in every chapter that absolutely has to be done (kudos for taking on the task ;) ). Unless you're the only one writing the articles (I hope not!).... I see there's no name credit for piece writers... local chapter thing perhaps?

I know you're talking about newsletters and not Roundel, I just wanted to add to the opposition chorus just in case anyone might ever start considering such an idea, however remotely possible that is.

I don't think anyone can argue the general convenience of the 'net and web for information access; the now ubiquitous smartphones, tablets, and hi-speed wireless data have proved that. It took scrapping analog tv to free up the bandwidth, but most would probably argue the trade-off was more than worth it. I imagine there are a few out there that used to get a fuzzy analog signal at the edge of a broadcast area and now can only get a black screen that are still cussing the forced turnover, but not many.

Here's one downside to smartphones....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-fathers-smartphone---parents-decide-it.html

I don't know who came up with the smartphone scan 'boxes' we seem to see ever more, but that's obviously a means of offering smartphone users easy access to more info from an advertiser, and integrating printed media to the web/net.

Another topic for another day, but I think there could be a lot more put into the Roundel that might spur more members to the 'CCA website - scan boxes and pointers to additional site-only details about articles, the forums, all Roundel advertisers could be listed online with their website links, etc. Years ago, all letters to the editor were published - I kinda doubt there's room in the Roundel to do that now, but the forums certainly would be the place to publish all letters to the editor that don't make it into the Roundel. Otoh though, it may well be that there are plenty of letters to the editor that don't make the cut for good reasons; just like The Shadow, only the editor knows.

mrsbee guest

My matter of opinion is not too different from yours, really! I can't stand the dependency of technology and the ineptitude of those who have adapted it as an extra extremity. There are some people that couldn't take a dump in public without checking Yelp first to see what the reviews are. I personally am NOT one of those people, I tend to make my own opinion and THEN look at what other people say.

I'm NOT all about going digital, I'm NOT all about big brother looking at you. I mean, truth be told, I'm sure there is some big eye in the sky that watches you and knows exactly how long you spend looking at that Newsletter/Forum/Smut Site, one of which would NEVER see you if you had a paper copy. Remember that stack of dirty magazines under your bed that collected dust and silver fish? That's a thing of the past, but at the same time it's kind of a sad so-long. You can't just tuck yourself into a corner and read your Hustler...or maybe you could...eh, off subject.

I also go nuts over those stupid scan boxes. As a retailer, it kills my business to have them on anything that I have in stock. People can scan the code and it will immediately pull up Amazon, E-Bay, whatever shopping ap they might have and give them a price, always much lower than what I'm able to sell it for, and it kills my business. In the CCA-sphere, I'm sure we could implant that same mentality when it comes down to so many of our faithful members that are also faithful members of the PCA. I'm still working on how that subliminal message would work out, but hey, I'm just one person.

The iRoadster is 100% (except the Presidents column). I get no real contributions, and well, nobody every offers - except one person - but that's a story for another day. I pour one on the curb for Satch and all he has to put up with. On a small level I shake my head pretty vigorously, I can only imagine what it's like on a larger scale.

It's upsetting to me that the Weekly piece was something that ruffled feathers. I'm sorry if it seemed like I wanted to pull the paper from under your fingers, but it's a local thing. That being said if you DON'T want to see that happen, participate! Like Marshall said, being an editor takes lots of time, lots of work and not many thanks. Primarily complaints.

So my offer is this, if you feel you can do it better, be my guest. In the meanwhile, I'll do the best I have to offer and just hope that it suits your sophisticated tastes.
    MGarrison likes this.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Interesting discussion. Keep the paper Roundel for all the reasons cited above, but on the chapter newsletter thing: Put those on the CCA web site so I can easily access those of EVERY other chapter around the country. Newsletters are where the rubber meets the road on local activities and events. Great for when you are travelling and want to drop in on a local CCA happening. Seems to me that would be a "+" for all.
    MGarrison likes this.
    • Staff

steven s

There was a jump in traffic on the forum after a story in Roundel Weekly. I'm glad that Satch and Nikki frequent the forum. Imagine if the other writers did? Think they even know there is a forum? Doubtful.

Same is to be said with our TSAs. I'm very happy to see our newest TSA, charlson89 is a part of our online community. One TSA who will remain nameless suggested we have a forum for TSAs to answer questions online. Divide it into different topics. Really?

Chapters can upload their newsletters to the chapter landing page. It's not mandatory.
    The National office encourages chapters to list their events on the CCA calendar. If the chapter doesn't take it upon themselves we hope a chapter members will ask their chapter why they don't. We are still a club and events and people make it a club.
    MGarrison likes this.

TSA = ?

1) Top Smart Administrator?
    2) Totally Stinking Awsome?
    3) Three Smelly Anchovies?

I could go on, because my ignorance doesn't limit me...
    Please help me not be "ignernt" anymore :)
    • Staff

steven s

http://www.bmwcca.org/clubservices
    Technical Service Advisor

Another club member perk! I had not known about that!

Thanks!
    • Staff

steven s

Need to look on the Club Services Page in Roundel.
    Or http://www.bmwcca.org/membershipbenefits
    The club is more than a magazine. :)
    To me anyway.
    MGarrison likes this.

After my first ever CCA HPDE at WGI this week, I'm right there with you: WAY more than a magazine!
    MGarrison and steven s like this.

MGarrison

Good idea Chris - if the chapter landing page is the place for that, would need more local promotion to raise awareness. You can hit up local chapter websites for newsletters and calendars in areas you might be traveling too.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

To me, the Club is WAY more than a magazine! First it was speaking engagements, then a monthly column. Then an opportunity to instruct at driving schools which brought me into contact with the people. And the people are the Club.

Now, of course, it is my all-consuming life.

And as for Nikki's intriguing image: T
    Well, hell, Nikki, I am SO glad you can just go ahead and squat without Yelp approval.
    mrsbee likes this.

mrsbee guest

After writing that a few weeks ago, I take back my prior statement on not checking Yelp first.

Maybe someday I'll write about the horrors of a Truck Stop Salad bar.

Thanks for all of your feedback in regards to the change to cyber letters. I understand both sides of the argument and in the end, I just want everybody to be happy. I don't want this to turn into kicking a bees nest - so please, don't hold my points of view against me.

As for the truck stop, you're going to have to really have a convincing story to get me back in one of THOSE again.