Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What did you do to/for your BMW today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by E46BAV90, May 18, 2011.

mwurman

This was yesterday :) Bilsteins front and back...

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

mwurman

And new engine mounts and (unplanned) new upper intake boot! That torn boot explained my rough idle lol

[IMG][IMG][IMG]

ramitchell

New battery for my e39. Not the kind of expense I was planning on but these things are somewhat necessary. Fortunately, it was only a few miles from our house in the parking lot of a grocery store so at least I wouldn't die of starvation, LOL!. Luckily, daughter was home so she and wife took the groceries home. Wife came back, we stopped at house for tools and off to AutoZone. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to note any battery specifics....hey, they're the experts so they should know, right? No....they weren't sure so it was back to the car to remove the battery.....some strange looks from people as I pull the battery out of the trunk (no, lady, I did not 'mod' the car!) and back to AutoZone. Purchased the Duralast 'platinum' battery, back to car and the car started fine. Did have to reset the date and clock and my little world is back in balance again.
    • Staff

steven s

At least you don't have to go to the dealer and have it registered.

You want strange looks?
    This gets them every time at tech at the track.
    My E36 battery is under the hood. :)

I had a 1989 e34 525i with a front battery. What other models have this feature?
    • Staff

steven s

My E30 'vert is under the hood.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I installed an OEM strut bar on the Z4 M Roadster. Shiny!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What happened to the strut bar that came on it?!

By the way, I FOUND THE @#$%! LED LIGHTS FOR THE TRUNK! As I suspected, all I had to do to find them was to order another set. Now I guess Party A will get LED lights in the trunk of her 335i.

No, wait: ENGINE-COMPARTMENT LIGHTS!!

mwurman

Added angel eyes :) Thinking I might want to change out that silver trim inside to matte black since its throwing light all over the place. Might just paint mine.

[IMG][IMG][IMG]

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I bought the switch for my wife's 2011 335is Coupe from ECS Tuning. It should be the same switch.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Yup, as far as I can tell ECS is the only place selling them in the US, as BMW has embargoed them being sold through regular channels. I'm assuming that ECS imports from Europe to get them.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

A small but important chore - changed the batteries in my key fobs... no more struggling to get the doors to unlock. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Swapped in a set of Cool Carbon front pads. (Yes, I should have done all four AND changed the rotors, but the rotors are on back order!) Then spent some time bedding them around the neighborhood without getting arrested. And drilled the caliper bolts for safety wire while I was at it.
    TomF likes this.

bransan Master troubleshooter

changed oil, checked all filters and fluids, except for the trans and diff's. I changed them earlier this spring.I noticed there is no more oil leak from the oil cooler after I replaced the gasket this spring. However I have a leak coming from the rear of the engine, it's wet at the bell housing. I suppose it's a rear main.:(

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

In preparation for Oktoberfest, last weekend I changed the oil on the Z4M just shy of 40,000 miles. This weekend I washed, clayed, and machine waxed it.

Last week the rotors and brake pads got replaced under warranty on the 335is Coupe and last weekend my wife washed, clayed, and machine waxed it. Hawk HPS pads were also ordered and received and will accompany her to Oktoberfest for track days on Wednesday and Thursday.
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

Swapped out the o.e. 19" staggered runflats for some 17" Apex Arc-8's and same-sized square-setup standard tires. Ten pound difference unsprung weight on each corner, the suspension definitely works better - feels like it's absorbing bumps instead of crashing over them.

The stock front runflats w/ 19" rim & 23k on the tires weighs 54.5 lbs, the rears worn down to treadbars weigh the same (the fronts are half-life left, or more). The Arc-8's with full rubber, 255/40-17's all around, weigh 44.5 lbs each. Noticeable improvement in ride quality.

The 19's look killer, but with a weight penalty.

mrsbee guest

I rode my motorcycle 120 whopping miles (without incident).

Oh, wait, this is about cars.

Ken.S.330

Replaced the right side xenon headlight in the E90 330i. It took me forever to remove the dust cover at the back of the headlight assembly. A couple of latches or screws would have been much easier to undo then those $#%@ clips. I was able to remove the access flap in the inner fender and do the whole job with the front tire still on the car. If I ever have to open that thing again I will change every bulb inside that assembly just so I don't have to open it again. I got the D1S bulb from Amazon for $50, Phillips brand. The color is a little yellow right now but I understand that they burn in after a while to a more pure white.
    • Staff

steven s

Replaced my passenger side window regulator on the ti.
    Not thrilled since the regulator still bows out a bit when fully opened or closed.
    Next...
    Replace the oil pressure sending unit.
    Then...
    Buy parts for the E30 inside door handle.
    • Staff

steven s

Replaced oil pressure sending unit on the ti.
    No more flickering oil pressure light at idle.
    I'll give it another week before I rejoice.
    The final test will be T4 at VIR. High G left hander. That is where I thought I was getting oil starvation.
    Already replaced the oil suction tube thinking it might have been cracked.