Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E60 DIY???

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by EHGVETTE, Jul 5, 2013.

EHGVETTE

I have been looking to purchase an E60, but I am having second thoughts. I am a consumate DIYer. It seems a trip to the dealer for even a battery change is in order . Is this the norm on most items needed fot the E60. Is it better on the previous series?

Thanks,

charlson89

Well is the e60 better than the e39 thats a matter of opinion. The e60 does have a lot more technology in it than the e39 and thus you can have more issues with the vehicle. Yes the battery does need to registered to the vehicle when it is replaced and can only be done by a dealer or indy if they have the right equipment. Most of the issues with the E60 really are DIY jobs. I would keep away from the N62 engine, they are starting to have issues with valve stem seals leaking causing oil consumption and smoke out the tail pipe very expensive repair. If you have a specific one in mind let me know and I can get you more info on what common problems are.

floydarogers

No matter what modern car you buy, you're going to need an OBD II reader. If you have a bunch of tools in your garage, you just tell your wife you need to buy another tool.
    Keithnagel likes this.

EHGVETTE

I do have an OBDII code reader, but always looking for new tools. I want to make sure the shop is fully equiped before I retire and play.