Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Incontinent E60 - Power Steering Fluid Leaking

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by ajcaruso, Jul 1, 2013.

ajcaruso

2006 E60 550i 6spd man, Active Steer/Susp, 49K mi, bought CPO 36K mi 2009

My 550i has started piddling PS fluid on my garage floor and apparently, the neighborhood.

About a month ago, it displayed a diagnostic warning about low PS fluid (dash graphic showed tilted vehicle on a triangle). The reservoir level was below the dipstick, but some fluid was still visible at the bottom. I bought a can of the proper fluid (CHF 11S) from my local dealer, refilled the reservoir and went for a 20 minute drive - all seemed well. Two weeks ago, before using it again, I checked the reservoir and it was again below the dipstick and a small puddle of fluid was below the car.

My local independent machanic (Gary/EuropCar) was good enough to put it up on the lift, remove the under-engine shrouds and look around. Both L/R steering rack boots were covered with fluid, but not distended. No fluids were visible above the boots. I was desperately hoping for a bad clamp or hose, but it looks like the seals are leaking on both sides of the rack.

I've had no accidents, nor any bad potholes/curbing and the under-engine shrouds are intact, so I don't think there's been any physical damage to the rack. I've only put 12K mostly highway miles on the car in the four years I've owned it.

The rack alone is over $3000(!) from BMW. Are there any reliable sources for rebuilt racks? I've also heard of a seal kit, but it seems like a huge job (just removing the rack seems to require supporting the engine and dropping the subframe). Mike Miller has informed me of other owners have bad luck with rebuilts/used racksand often spent more than the $4K dealer repair.

Has anyone had any similar experience/advice?
    What do you all think the odds are of getting some sort of good-will repair or discount?

Anthony
    Morristown, NJ

charlson89

If you bought the car from a dealer with CPO I would ask them for some assistance from BMW. They may be able to at least pay for parts or the labor. This is actually quite rare to happen, I have only seen a couple leak from the rack seals. If the dealer won't help with the process call BMW themselves and ask for help.

ajcaruso

That's my next step - made an appt for next week and said I'd wait thru the diagnosis. I assume goodwill
    repairs require some time for the dealer to authorize?

charlson89

Yes they have to go through some one called MMA in the BMW world that can authorize goodwill for customers.

ajcaruso

Good news - BMW agreed that blowing both rack seals at 48K miles
    was unusual and picked up the cost of all parts, leaving the labor/alignment
    as my responsibility.

All in all, a good deal from BMW NA and BMW of Bridgewater NJ.
    mrsbee likes this.

charlson89

Great to hear you got that taken care of!

mrsbee guest

I love happy endings.

Sounds like a "un-annouced" recall. Other E60 owners should take note..........