Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tail pipe detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by dcutler1, Jul 1, 2013.

dcutler1

I have a 328i with the sport package and so it has a nice metal twin tailpipe coming out the back. Whenever I wash the car, I notice that it has some black spots on it which are either cooked road tar and/or stains from the exhaust itself (on the lips). I've tried getting these spots off with bug and tar remover but this doesn't work and since I don't know what it's made of, I've been reluctant to try anything "stronger" (ie: metal polish, etc.).

Does anyone have an idea what I can try in order to clean this black stuff off without damaging the metal surface of the tailpipe?

floydarogers

Chrome polish is what I use.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I'd start with something like Krud Kutter and stop somewhere short of 100-grit sandpaper.

gotmilk?

I noticed the same thing with my 328. It's just exhaust sediment, but it does kind of bake on. I first tried wadding polish, no good. I just got some Smartpolish by Smartwax this week and it worked well. I needed a little elbow grease but it cut the sooty stuff without scratching. My poor old pickup is the guinea pig for any car care product before it gets to my car.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

toddreg

The new turbo 4 bangers are really spittin out some crude for some reason. Mine are black and nothing will get it off. Brass cleaner, chrome cleaner, WD-40, nothing. Have heard you can take steel wool to it but I don't know the type so I haven't gone that route yet.
    640ijims likes this.

ChristopherG

Tar remover then a piece of clay bar that you don't plan on using on paint ever again works pretty well.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I'd start with Krud Kutter (which is also good for taking off autocross cone scars. Shut up).

640ijims

Go to ACE hardware, get a package of "bronze wool", hit the "wool" with Dawn and add elbow grease. Should do the job..if not take it up a notch with Mothers Meatal Cleaner and Wool. Rinse wool out when done and save for next use. Apply some carnuba to outside and inside of tips...makes it easier next time.

5Fighting

Griots make a great cleaner