Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

HID to Xenon

Discussion in 'F10/F11 (2010-2017)' started by elevator99, Jun 20, 2013.

elevator99

Recently picked up a 2011 528 with 15000 miles, desired color combination, good options (Premium I, Premium 2 Packages, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Navigation) except one - xenon headlights. Initially I didn't think it would bother me, but I find there is a distinct difference in roadway lighting at night without the xenons.
    Question - Who out there has done a conversion from HID to Xenon? There are kits available, but do they look like the real German xenons or do they tend to look like something purchased from Auto Zone that you would see on Japanese tin can? Are there any kits out there that anyone would recommend and, if so, where would you go to get them properly installed. Dealer will obviously not do it - I live about 40 miles north of San Diego. Suggestions?????

charlson89

This can be done two ways, one just buy and aftermarket xenon kit and install it your self very easy and plug and play. Just be careful to make sure you get a kit that won't cause a check control message for a bulb out. Two is buy the oem BMW xenon lights and install them and code them to the vehicle. This option of course is very expensive but will be OEM.

floydarogers

You're confused - on at least two counts.
    1) This is the member intro area; questions about particular models should be asked in the model-specific area.
    2) Or you could ask in the Lighting forum (I think there's one.)
    3) HID IS Xenon. There is no "upgrade" path from Xenon to Xenon... There is one from Halogen to Xenon (it's quite expensive - $1,000 or more).

I'm pretty sure that all 5-series have come with Xenon/HID for 10+ years. You might check the alignment or have the dealer do it.

charlson89

What floydarogers is saying is true that only the 2010 and up vehicles US spec cars all come with xenon. But if you imported your vehicle you can have the halogens that they offer on some of the early models.

elevator99

Yes, messed up on the posting area. You can see I haven't spent much time on the Forum. This car definitely does not have the Xenons. I can tell by the more yellow light during night driving and if you look at the enclosed link (http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2011/bmw/5_series/packages_options.html), it was a $900 option. I'm OK with the cost, but I would more concerned about getting the correct conversion parts and, more importantly, getting the install done properly without all kinds of issues and perhaps doing something that would affect the warranty.

elevator99

OEM is obviously the real thing but the more expensive option. Any suggestions on the best looking aftermarket kit and, more importantly, what kind of company would do the work properly without causing all kinds of issues. I assume dealer would not do the conversion?

floydarogers

The cheapest might be to buy just the headlight modules, and don't worry about the adaptive and leveling features.

Searching around on a couple of the non-BMWCCA forums I found a couple solutions: MTECH (you'll have to google for it), and this: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-325i-N52_3.0L/Lighting/Headlights/ES9941/ which looks to be the most promising IMO. e90post is usually the best place to look for things like this, as we're all bmw fanboys:D here and not into turning and mods like they are...:confused:

charlson89

elevator99

I could never figure out what was going on with the 2011 model year. The lights on the 528 looked very similar to what you would see on a car equipped with xenons, however, the lights burned more yellow like a halogen light and did not throw our nearly as much light as the xenons. I had the dealer check the specs on the car and it was not optioned with xenons when built.
    Anyhow, to make a long story short, I sold the 528 and now will now look for a real BMW - one with xenons and the "M" Sport Package.