Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My Motorcycle, Ya Chowder Heads

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrsbee, May 27, 2013.

mrsbee guest

That's how I roll - actually no - that's how I fall.

This is the deal, what I thought would be a good solid starter bike for me proved to be just too big for me to handle being such a novice. I mean, it's not that I don't have muscles to rival Chuck Norris, but it's just the lack of knowledge of what to do when the laws of physics kick in. I got spilled because the bike went one way and I just kind of went with it. I froze, not awesome to admit, but that's what happened.

So this is where I'm at now. We're currently back on the hunt for something a little bit lighter and perhaps a bit lower. Although my legs can sit firmly on the ground, I still don't have the flexibility that I need to get to it go where I need it to when the power is off. The options as it stands right now are either a Honda Rebel, an older Nighthawk or A Virago, which I am pretty well against. It could be a good bike, but as lame as it sounds I'm just kind of turned off by the name - it makes me want to break out in an opera like aria every time I say it, and I'm not that strong of a singer.

Mr. Bee and I are on the hunt tonight to check out a few more - this is starting to get addictive honestly. There are just so many bikes, and most of them are CHEAP! The diversity is incredibly and really, the older the more interesting in my eyes. The towel has officially been thrown in and we're converting our finished basement - the basement that's complete with a billiard table couches and tv into a motorcycle storage shop. The garage is full of autos, and it's getting a bit cramped with two bikes, a One Series, a Four-Runner and all of my gardening junk.

Get rid of the gardening junk? Never.

Don't they have a motorcycle safety course in SC? In many states, the safety course is required to get a license and a small 250cc bike is provided for the class. A week on a 250cc might be all you need......

mrsbee guest

I'm signed up for the class and will be taking it in June, however I wanted to be prepared to ride after completing the course so that I wouldn't ha e time to get rusty.

CRKrieger

Well, in the interest of club harmony and fellowship, I didn't say anything about that because you were so excited. Now that you know, yes; a 650 like that one is too big to learn on. The Honda 250, whether a Rebel (mini Sportster clone) or a Nighthawk (standard) is nearly a perfect choice. It is one of the bikes that MSF prefers to use to teach their new rider courses. A 'learner' bike is just that. It will get dropped for all the usual reasons and it will eventually be found wanting and get passed along to another worthy learner. I still have one (250 Rebel) that we bought new in 1987 sitting in the garage - needing some TLC. I learned enough on that bike that my '86 500 Shadow was not a huge step up - but it WAS a step.

Please don't sacrifice any more skin on the wrong bike with (maybe?) the wrong gear. BMW riders are generally big 'ATGATT' fans. That's 'All The Gear, All The Time' and it includes not only your noggin bucket but also good heavy gloves, above-the-ankle boots, and a leather or ballistic nylon jacket and pants with 'armor' inserts in vital places like joints where you tend to fall. Yeah; it might cost more than your first (used) bike, but it may well have saved you your current abrasions. I am the first to admit that I am NOT an ATGATT guy. I don't have Kevlar jeans; I occasionally ride in low shoes, and I depend on mere leather jackets. If you go with 'only' leather, at least be sure it's full-grain leather, not some lightweight suede fashion statement that you look great in.

Good luck, kid. It's really a lotta fun once you get squared away.

CRKrieger

So ... you got the 250 Nighthawk. Were you gonna update us about it?

mrsbee guest

Maybe I should have given a bit of background to the situation BEFORE getting so deep into this thread. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle - primarily because Mr. Bee and I are taking a week long motorcycle tour around the Alps in October. This being said, I really had a feeling that if something were to happen on the road and Mr. Bee (god forbid) got injured in such a way that he couldn't ride, at least I could pick up the slack. Of course, Mr. Bee is an incredible Motorcycler (if that's a word) and I highly doubt the skill will be needed, but either way, it'll be handy to have.

The first step I took in this motorcycle adventure was sign up for an MSF course - our state has a pretty fantastic one, so I feel like I'm in good hands. Beyond just the MSF course, Mr. Bee is the Vice President of the "Upstate Conebutts" the BMW Motorcycle Club of this part of the state. In our Conebutt club there are quite a few instructors that have offered a little friendly advice. Technically, Mr. Bee doesn't even let me SIT on the motorcycle unless I'm suited up in my Armor, boots and gloves (which I invested in when we got the R 90/6 about a year ago). The only reason I lost skin on the now called "Mean Green Hornet" was a simple fact of me scooting it out of the way to move the car and lost balance. Truth be told, the Hornet has a very high center of gravity and, well, my center of gravity kind of doesn't exist yet. I'll have to learn about that in the course I suppose.

At first, I didn't really even think about buying a motorcycle until AFTER I took the course, but eh, what the heck, why not, right? So when I do something, I really do something. I bought not only one but TWO motorcycles in the span of a week that I can't even ride yet.

The Nighthawk seems pretty stable, and except the fact I think it looks like a Moped, will be a fantastic starter (that's what I'm hearing anyways). Before I settled on the Nighthawk, I did put my legs around a few other tanks, including a little Suzuki and a Rebel. Not that I'm an aficionado of any sorts, but the Suzuki just looked, felt and sounded cheap. If I'm going to be investing money into something, I want my senses to be pleasured, not dismayed. Although I'm not crazy about the Nighthawk styling, at least it sounds and feels quality. If only it didn't have that big lame wing on the side and Honda written on it a zillion times.

Hey, anyone in the Upstate SC area want to paint my bike? Perhaps a certain Sedona Red color?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

No. No. No.
    BMW K75.
    What the hell is the MATTER with you?!

As chronicled in the writings of Jack Riepe, a K75 is the muscular steed of the BMW MC stable and, therefore, a most inappropriate ride for the newbie.

On another note, I could say that mentioning a K75 in reference to Mrs. Bee's exploration of the Honda CX500/GL650 line is a bit like suggesting a Z4 roadster to someone considering a mid 1990's Miata.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Anybody who would consider a Honda CX500/GL650 deserves a fookin' Miata.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Mark Jon Calabrese learned to ride on a K75, fer crissake.

mrsbee guest

Alright, you know what - let me explain a few things - and take them with as many grains of salt as needed. I'm NOT a large person, in fact I'm quite the opposite. I don't have long man muscles and I certainly don't have long man legs to hoist be above a GS of any sort. I TRIED with all my might to fit onto a K75, there is a close friend of mine that has one for sale at a very reasonable price, but I couldn't even touch the ground on my tip toes let alone have any confidence in learning to ride the damn thing.

And before you go throwing the word "Miata" in my direction - surly - I'll have you know that the decision to get the GL650 was based on attitude and personality alone. I'm sorry to say, but in these parts if you're on a K bike, chances are you take it down to the local stealership and wouldn't know how to turn a wrench on it to save your life. The GL however at least has some character and the patina of a Motorcycle that actually wants to be ridden. Not become a garage queen that comes out on a random sunny day in spring. I'm not ruling out the idea of getting one later, don't get me wrong, having something under my ass that says "Honda" is kind of a Tetanus shot in the eye (which is exactly why it's stripped of all badging). It's a motorcycle, it has two wheels, a seat and it goes.

For a learner - I'm pretty sure that's all I need.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'll keep my motorcycle adventures private from now on.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Now, now. Nothing wrong with the right Honda (says the guy who once raced a CR93). And you're right about the K75; I bought two over the years. The first had the "short-legged" kit. The second had a kewl Corbin seat... but in truth, I could not touch the ground astride that bike! That's the primary reason I sold it.

mrsbee guest

*Note to self*
    Do not try to go on the Forums first thing in the morning before the coffee kicks in - it makes for some grouchy responses.

My apologies for being a jerk - that's totally unlike me.

Wait, did I just use the word totally? When did I become a "Valley Girl?"

Satch SoSoCalifortified

They don't have malls in Sackalina?!

:D
    mrsbee likes this.

Mark Jon Calabrese could probably diagnose plumbing problems with a Fluke meter. The guy appears to have some talents in the electro-mechanical world. In addition, I don't knew how tall or strong Mr. Calabrese might be.......

With that being said, I'm 6'-1" and my K75 (number 30 of the US imports and with a Corbin Dual Canyon saddle) was just right for flat footing about the driveway.

I'm going out on a limb and assume that MrsBee might be shorter than me.......

mrsbee guest

Me being a solid 5'5" tall, yeah, I'm a bit smaller...

mrsbee guest

Malls - "Is dat dem der big places wit dem stores in it?"

The mall is over in Mayberry. Mr. Drucker has a store near the railroad in Hooterville and his cousin/wife/step-child Ellie Mae operates the Hooterville Diner and Quick Lube near the state highway. Bugtussle, on the other hand, is so small, they have to borrow a 3-man tent from the Boy Scout (singular) for the Saturday night movie theater.
    MGarrison and mrsbee like this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Our town was so small, we didn't even have a town drunk. We had to take turns.
    kgmoodyz3 likes this.

Very posh,

My little town was in a dry township. We had to drive to drink.
    mrsbee likes this.