Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

over torque lug nuts

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by yonsayvitch, Jun 12, 2013.

• Staff

steven s

At least they are offering 20% off. Don't know if it's 20% MSRP or some other price.

yonsayvitch

$194.08 for a set of 4. They do give you the 10%. I wouldn't know what to do with the 20 bucks I saved. Starbucks!

CSBM5

Both local dealers in my area, Leith BMW and Performance BMW, use a pricing algorithm that marks up MSRP by a declining percentage as the MSRP increases. Low cost parts are marked up about 100%, something around say $40 is marked up around 30%, and higher priced parts, say $200 part, is marked up maybe 8-10%. Leith is the cheaper of the two by a small amount.

I think these types of pricing algorithms are *very* common at BMW dealers hence the reason for the huge business places like Tischer and Morristown BMW do online now.

BMWNA themselves made a huge leap in parts prices when the economy turned down in 2008-2009 by the way. Some parts were increased by 30-40% or more, especially expensive parts like flywheels and such. I suppose they figured they had a semi-monopoly on BMW OEM parts, the economy is weak, so let's make up for lost revenue. Of course they've not reduced any of those huge markups...yet. They actually did have an across the board parts price reduction many, many years ago.

mattm

FWIW, for ten years I was swapping autocross wheels about 10-12 times a year somethimes being accurate on the torque and sometimes not (especially when it's raining). In the off season I'd toss on steel wheels and Blizzaks. The same lug nuts the whole time with no issues. This was a daily driver with 183k on it before being flooded with Storm Sandy. Most of my local tire shops wail on the impact gun and I'll wager half the time the torque is way over 200 lbs. If you want to buy all new, great. I'll be happy to dispose of the old lug nuts in a most appropriate manner. :) I'll even pay the shipping.

yonsayvitch

Just received the lugs and put them on. 78 lbs. I enjoy getting new parts no matter it being a bolt or a freshly done valve cover. Off to see the parents so to everyone, have a great weekend and spirited driving.
    • Staff

steven s

I think that's the cheapest amount of money to spend for piece of mind.

Most tire places I've seen use a torque stick.
    My old shop in Maryland will torque them on request.

Last time I had my Mini at the dealer for an oil change I'm sure the oil plug was way over 82 ftlb since I needed a breaker bar to snap it loose.

mattm

A friend used to put teflon tape on the drain plug bolts to ensure they would loosen up easily. He had to order too many Honda oil pans from techs/people over tightening them. His boss gave him a hard time about doing it as it took too much time. Good boss, not.

It's not a bad practice using the tape.

MGarrison

piece peace of mind.

There - fixed.

Now, having given a piece of my mind, I can have peace-of-mind - unless somebody minds. Well, back to minding my manners by minding my own business. :p

Come to think of it, this comes to mind:

[IMG]
    steven s likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Chuck says:
    Yeah, that's what I meant!
    That blonde girl says:
    I think she means you should steal one bolt from each of the other cars...
    mrsbee likes this.

If your friend is lubricating the threads, how much does he/she have to increase/decrease the pre-load (i.e., torque) to avoid over extension of the bolt or loosening during thermal and vibration cycles?

mrsbee guest

Thanks, Satch. I didn't want to put exact ideas of criminal activity out there - just implant a train of thought that might direct people into criminal activity.
    kgmoodyz3 likes this.

Helping the co-dependent criminals vs the real ones.....I see.

mrsbee guest

Satch SoSoCalifortified

78 foot-pounds? Did you mis-read the specs?

yonsayvitch

Bentley recommends 74ft-lbs -/+ 8 so I went on the higher side.
    • Staff

steven s

That's fine. The important thing is that they are even. all the way around.

yonsayvitch

The surgeon's hands that I don't have, torque is at 78 to 79 with a Snap-on Techwhench.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, dang! Where did I get the idea that it's 88 foot-pounds, plus or minus five?

The hitch mounting bolts on my new Tacoma had to be torqued to 88-ft-lbs. Now my shoulder clicks, kinda like my torque wrench

yonsayvitch

740il is 89 ft-lbs.