Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2004 530i Intermittent Chime

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by clauspkinder, May 8, 2013.

clauspkinder

Car has intermittent chime and it always dings 3 times. Took it to the dealer and they do not know. It use to be more frequent and then it went away for a few months. Now it's back but, less frequent than before and bugging me again. Thanks for any suggestions.

MGarrison

wth - hate weird stuff like that; looks like we lost the spaghetticoder site which had BMW wiring diagrams, too bad. Use realoem.com and see if you can find the chime module (or whatever it's called) that makes the chime. Then, if you can find a wiring diagram for your car, see if you can find the wiring diagram for the chime model and see what runs into it, _might_ be one way of narrowing it down. I emphasize 'might' because if several computer modules control the chime, they could have so many inputs, you'd have a lot of testing to do to eliminate the possibilities.

For a wiring diagram, try http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/ , or a Bentley Manual. In the meantime, anytime it dings, try to note what you're doing - moving, stopped, braking, turning, etc. Make sure the hour chime is turned off on the clock - I don't know if there is any configurability to the near-freezing warning chime. Make sure all the door/door-jamb switches/buttons/actuators are secure. If the door-open chime is dependent on a single button/switch in the door jamb, it may be easy to check the switch, it's mounting, etc. I'm speculating a possibility is a loose door-jamb switch/wire might yield unexplained chimes, but that seems less likely if the chimes are always in three's.

clauspkinder

THANKS for the suggestions, I will post again when/if I figure it out!

charlson89

Any lights come on when it dings?