Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Normal Battery Life

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bobgto, May 4, 2013.

bobgto guest

I have a 08 335i with the factory battery in it.I could not see what month battery it is.It's about 5 years old.Anybody have any idea how long they should last? or where to tell what month battery it is?
    • Staff

steven s

I believe there should be a date code on the battery.

I don't know about a 335 but 5 years has always been the life for me.

robc1976

5 year is the normal, if your lucky 7 years. There is a clear circle window on top of the battery and will illuminate green when good, black when bad.

charlson89

The battery will have a date stamped on the negative terminal. should read the week and year the battery was made. Depending on how the battery was maintained has a big influence on how long it lasts. Like said above average is 5 years. Also if you do replace it make sure you get it registered to the vehicle.

robc1976

spot on advice, I never have registered my battery...but it's is good to do so the cat does not over charge the battery.

bobgto guest

Thanks all for the Info!

bobgto guest

I was wondering because I have not changed the battery yet. Will these battery's take a jump?

charlson89

Yes but if they require a jump it would be a good idea to get it replace. Also make sure you use the posts under the hood to jump it, if you jump it on the battery you could possible damage a module called the IBS.

mrglock

I got 7 years out of mine. My car was put into service in the fall of '05. I replaced it summer of '12. Not that the white cased battery is still available however I went the deep cycle black cased battery. The black cased battery did require the car to be reprogrammed to get it to register. I also place my car on a battery tender whenever it sits longer than 24 hours without driving.
    M Coupe 1 likes this.

bobgto guest

I Still have not changed the battery in my 335I.It seems to be fine. I only had that problem one time (reset clock etc) and it never returned. I have always got into the happen of turning everything off before I shut the car off, I think that may help the battery life. Believe it or not I have a battery in my 98 Cherokee that is 10 years old. Now that I said that I probably jinx myself and they will both go dead.

Yangorang

The original battery on my 2008 BMW 328xi lasted about 5.5 years and I'm pretty happy with that.