Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best Clutch Replacement Options

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by rymice, May 2, 2013.

rymice

I have a 2004 E46 M3 coupe with manual trans. I’m the second owner. I purchased the car as a CPO in 2008 with 38k miles. The car now has 51K on the odometer. The clutch is getting a bit high in the pedal and I’m thinking that next season I’ll replace it. I would like some opinions on replacement parts. Would the flywheel need replacing? Can the existing flywheel be reground if it shows only glazing and no hot spots? What is the best option for a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for a OEM stock e46 M3 that will not see track time. Thanks

MGarrison

If it's stock and you're not going to track it, or substantially modify it to up the horsepower, or not do a burnout every time you start to move, and you drive it normally and not abusively, then I'd say just go oem. A clutch job is the time to do a short-shift kit if you're so inclined. Unless it's been abused, I wouldn't expect the flywheel to be a problem at such low mileages, and I would doubt you need to do anything at all to it, unless you wished to lighten it just because - but, that's a better question for an E46 expert who might know more definitively if there may be any problem with E46 M3 flywheels. I think many seem to find the manual cars easier to drive without the clutch delay valve - a good time to lose that is when you're doing a brake-fluid flush.

Not clutch-related, but if the plan is long-term keeper, you may want to look into reinforcing the rear subframe mounting area - see http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-91-e46-rear-chassissubframe-reinforcement-kit.aspx
    rymice likes this.

rymice

Funny you should mention the clutch delay valve. I just purchased one and plan on installing it soon. Thanks for the post.

charlson89

In your case I agree with Mgarrison to keep the clutch oem. As far as the fly wheel goes you can have them turned at a machine shop that has the proper tools as long as like you said there is no hot spots or cracking. That clutch delay valve makes a world of difference. But if your doing the valve and clutch at the same time would not be a bad idea to do the slave cylinder as well.

rymice

Thanks for the post. Good idea on replacing the slave cylinder.