Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacing rear turn signal bulb or socket

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by mrgermain, Mar 30, 2013.

mrgermain

Hello BMWCCA family I want to change the rear turn signal bulb or socket on my E60. Reason being I'm getting the fault on the dashboard, but it only happens sometimes so I feel its prob the socket not the bulb. I would really appreciate a walk threw if possible thank you.

charlson89

Its pretty easy to do on the E60. Here's a link to a person getting to the bulb holder. Also be sure to check the wiring I have been seeing grounds on these vehicles burning up. Now that video is for the older style e60 if your bulb holder doesn't have that switch to remove it then let us know. Getting to the bulb holder is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SATJUhHtpVY

mrgermain

Thank you much appreciated. I will check out the link and let you know.

mrgermain

I switched the bulbs from the right to the left. I got the same fault, so I guess I may have to replace the socket that holds the bulb. The fault is sometimeish, one hour of the day its fine next it shows its not working. Unless I'm crazy it has to be the socket or maybe the wiring like you mentioned. If you have any other pointers please advise, your advice is greatly appreciated.

MGarrison

Like Charlson said, check your grounds, in case it's the wiring and not just the socket. You'll need a voltmeter.

mrgermain

Thanks man much appreciated.

charlson89

So what exactly is happening with your rear lights?

kark

I have a similar problem, a random L rear turn signal bulb fault on dash message window, plus the fats past signaling that occurs when something failed. Moments later, it may be fine. So far I pulled the tail light assembly out to find that there is some questionable signs of corrosion inside one of the spade pin connectors that wire in this bulb. I may try soaking in a little vinegar to clean any corrosion. It is slightly blackish in color, different than all the rest. I tried comparing resistance across the connector by checking bulb resistance directly or through wiring harness. I will check grounds next from wiring harness if cleaning does not help, but again, the random failure events are hard to chase w/o and obvious sign.

Thanks for any other suggestions.

scottmoberly

well...hope all of you have not yet done the replacement...I had the same exact problem...ordered the replacement part yesterday...today a recall was announced. You can probably get a refund on parts from BMW NA...check today's BMWCCA newsletter for details.

charlson89

Yes that is correct the revised part has been out for a little while now, but it is officially a recall.

Terry Sayther

The recall covers '08 to early '10 5-series cars and is for tail light connectors. Hope that includes your car---Terry