Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Suspension kit help

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by DeanStouffer, Mar 14, 2013.

DeanStouffer

I have a 2003 540i 6spd with almost 100k. I am leaning towards Bilsteins - B14 PSS. I would like a good sport suspension that lowers the ride a little. Any recommendations/thoughts/reviews are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

MGarrison

DeanStouffer

MGarrison, thank you. Some good stuff on both sites. I was thinking about the Dinan options since I have some Dinan upgrades already, but a lot of that is a little too expensive at this point.

Sven

Dean - have you moved forward with your suspension upgrades - I'm curious what upgrades you decided on, since I'm also looking at a new suspension - trying to achieve that low aerodynamic look. I also have many Dinan parts, but find their products to be pricey.

CRKrieger

If you want just a LITTLE bit lower, then track down a stock sport suspension. Lots of 540 guys take them out and they'd be willing to sell cheap.
    Sven likes this.

Sven

This is a good idea - thanks for the info..

BMikeW

Just so you know:
    If this is a stock 2003 540i 6 speed, it came from the factory with an M-Technic- II sport suspension

nd4spdlsc

I wanted a slightly stiffer suspension without lowering the ride height. I wanted suspension travel for good ride and handling and I wanted to be able to clear speed bumps and off angle driveways easier. I swapped my stock sport springs for a matched set of stock M5 springs. Bushings, spring isolators, mounts etc. were swapped to match and I threw in Koni Yellows, Ground Control C/C plates, and an M5 front anti-roll bar to complement the Dinan rear anti-roll bar. The car corners pretty flat with the rear bar in the middle setting and the rear shocks at 1/2 turn from full soft. Ride is a great balance and the fronts can be stiffened for rebound.

I haven't had a chance to autocross or track the car yet but it should be more responsive and less understeer prone with the increased negative camber in the nose.

As a note, you will need the rear spring mounts set to the lowest notch on the Konis to maintain stock height with M5 springs. 540i and possibly the even slower brethren will need to keep the mount in the middle (as shipped).

Happy motoring!
    Terry Sayther likes this.