Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Who Wants Message Total Badge Icons? Vote!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MGarrison, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Message Marker Badge Icons, Yes or No?

YES!! THIS IDEA IS EVEN BETTER THAN CAKE & ICE CREAM! (Except for the lactose and gluten intolerant) 4 vote(s) 66.7%
No Effing Way! CHANGE SOMETHING?? Let's not get crazy now! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I don't know how to read. 2 vote(s) 33.3%

MGarrison

Since I'm just now stepping past 2002 message posts on the 'CCA forums (well ok, this forum and the last one that Steven S. saved from oblivion with a lot of tedious taskwork - woulda been more messages by now had the club kept it's first and 2nd forums and not nuked 'em, but them's the breaks, as it were - anyway...) and onto 2003 with this post, it occurs to me it might add a bit of flair to the forums if they were to display icons of various BMW model number badges to correspond with a member's number of posts and display that marker with a member's avatar that's shown with messages posted by a member..

Maybe something like this, although I think maybe a black & white line drawing would be much more the way to go, I just crudely cropped a pic of a trunk badge from a red 2002 here - less than the desired ideal aesthetic, methinks -

[IMG]

Perhaps something like the following:

# msgs | (model trunk badge displayed to represent number of forum posts)

3 messages, you get 3.0, from the E3, give folks somethin' just for getting started.

135 (from the E82)
    250 (Isetta)
    300 (from the 2nd-generation Isetta)
    320 (from the E21)
    325 (from the E30)
    328 (did the 30's-era BMW's have number badges? If not, perhaps use the E36)
    330 (E46)
    335 (E92)

(Yeah, I know folks might zip right through 'em once they've made 320 posts, can't be helped since those are pertinent model numbers, what can ya say)

435i (new 4 series coupe, whatever body-code that is)

501 (from the "Baroque Angel", assuming it has a number badge)
    507 (the Goertz classic)
    528 (from the E28)
    530 (from the E12)
    535 (from the E34)
    540 (E39)
    545 (E60)
    550 (F10)
    600 (last & largest Isetta)
    635 (E24)
    700 (umm, you know 'em)
    735i (E23)
    740 (E38)
    750 (E32)
    760 (E65)
    850 (E31)

1000 = M1 (Since "M" is the Latin equivalent for 1000, let's say Mx1 = 1000, from the E26 M1 supercar)

1800 (all 3 from the appropriate 'Neue Classe' models)
    2002 (obviously)
    2500 (E3)
    2800 (E3)
    3000 = M3 (E30 M3)
    3200 (early-mid 60's 3200 CS coupe)
    4000 (M4)
    5000 (E28 M5, might as well go with the first M5 badge)
    6000 (E24 M6, again giving priority to the first M6)

Not sure quite where to go after that, although it may be awhile before anyone gets that far - if past history is any indication, the forums will be changed, archived and then nuked again long before anyone has a chance to get half that far along, but perhaps this iteration will have a bit more permanency than the prior club forums - time will tell.

I tried some small model pics for icons, but too small to be discernible - presumably model trunk badges in a small size might be more easily seen.

Sugestions, anyone?
    • Staff

steven s

A ranking badge will take time.
    Then I'll be getting requests from people that they don't like the badge.
    I recall having complaints on a forum where after x number of posts you where a senior member.
    Could we just have the number of posts for now?

MGarrison

There will always be complainers - you could give some folks a million bucks and they'd complain. It would be no surprise for someone to be indignantly asking why they have a 3.0 badge by their name, that's not MY car, and/or not know it's for a long-ago bimmer model or why it suddenly appeared, even when showing with something like your "Post Count" or "Posts" or "Messages". I wouldn't expect too many, on the BMW club forum, to be bitter over using BMW model badges to represent message count - y'never know, though. Perhaps make it a user-selectable option - Display Post Count? Yes/No - if the forums have that flexibility; that would take care of those complaints. Post Count works, but I like the idea of ranking badges better, as it's just a marker to note having made x-many, vs. a running tally. Let's see if anyone else pipes in or has any interest besides you and I. ;)

mrsbee guest

We forgot about the 128 - those deserve some attention too. I think that the supreme poster should be given the title of 128, due to the fact that it is the most supreme BMW to roll out.

Is there anyway we can bribe the great powers that rule over the badge? I mean...I don't want to look like a stroke just because I'm new.
    • Staff

steven s

And at 318 posts, 318ti. :)

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

I like post counts - it gives you an idea of how much time a member has invested in a place. :)
    • Staff

steven s

Fixed. :)

mrsbee guest

What exactly is the democratic process here, with two opposing vote, how long do we run this poll until a certain decision is made.

This being said, I'm considering running for Vice Presidency of South Carolina (what esteem), does that mean I would win with one for and one against vote? I mean, there are two people in our household...I wonder if I can convince Mr. Bee to vote for me.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

LOL! I love it! Both are true! :D

MGarrison

lol Steven! :p

kgmoodyz4

What does it mean if I think I am investing my time here while I am wasting time at work?
    But back to the original topic, I like the idea of badges to represent the number of posts.
    • Staff

steven s

I looked into this a bit further.
    This version doesn't support adding rank images which is what you are looking for.
    Normally this is accomplished by adding another usergroup with an associated image.
    I have member because I am a member and staff, well... I am.
    I could probably have used an image as well.

What I might be able to do is to add an image below the username but it wouldn't look like the ribbon there is now.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Jesus, Garrison! Don't you have ANYTHING to do?!
    floydarogers and steven s like this.

MGarrison

Sez Mr. 1839! :p
    floydarogers likes this.
    • Staff

steven s

Well played. :)
    floydarogers likes this.

MR.E-Nigma Never settle on the Rest, Focus on the best!

Im not sure if this thread is still active but, why not have both an icon under your posts that just signifies you made posts in a range amount (i.e. User has 1-50 posts, and has been a member since whenever) and that info would only be visible if you click on that icon. but that's my two cents if anyone understands, what i just said.