Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Registration Questions

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2013' started by AlpineX5, Feb 26, 2013.

AlpineX5

This will be our first Oktoberfest! We are planning on doing the Motorsport Package plus one extra day of Driving School. When registering, will we be able to select the days for the School? We want to do the TSD Rally and Gymkhana on Wed., the Schools on Thurs. and Fri. so we can begin our two-day drive home on Sat. Is this doable?
    Also, although my wife and I have similar HPDE backgrounds, we will be sharing a car and have always been in different run groups. Will this be a problem, and is there a place on the registration form to go into any detail on our driving abilities?
    • Staff

steven s

Sounds doable.
    Motorsport package includes an autocross though.
    You are probably looking at a social package with 2 additional driving schools.

At onsite registration there is a signup sheet for the TSD rally.
    Pick a low number so you have plenty of time to do the gymkhana when finished.

You can share a car. There will be a drop down for number of schools you've done.
    Should also be an area for other tracks.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Since this would be the time to get all of those pesky questions out of the way before we get to register tomorrow, here's mine:

1. My wife is the primary (she had the first BMW) and I am the associate. Based on replies in another thread, it looks like the registration will have to be in her name and I would register as an associate, correct?

2. We both have both of our cars in "Our Garage", is there any reason why this would cause any problem?

3. We both plan on registering for the Motorsports Package and each adding one driving school. All four driving school days would be done in her car (a Coupe) and the two autocrosses would be done in my car (a Roadster). Ideally, one of us would do the Wednesday and Thursday driving school while the other one does one autocross on Thursday. Then the other person would do the Friday and Saturday driving school while the first one does one autocross on Friday. Does this sound feasible or is there some reason why this wouldn't work?

This is our first Oktoberfest so we have no experience with the registration process or what to expect, particularly with our situation of sharing two cars for different events. I don't want to register for the extra driving school days only to find out later that our schedule wouldn't be possible and have to eat a cancellation fee. To make matters worse, we will be sitting in an airport waiting for a flight when registration opens tomorrow at 9:00 AM PST!
    • Staff

steven s

We are working on making the primary member's garage available when you register your associate.
    You shouldn't have any problems.

Trust me, it's not going to sell out in one day.
    We have 140 student slots per day!

MGarrison

Tom - Steven mentioned in another post about the auto-x going back to M-cars on Friday - I *think* that might mean whoever does the Thurs. auto-x in your M-Roadster, since you're not running in the correct class since the class for that car is the next day, might either be bumped into one of the open classes, or not eligible to trophy (but for FTD) that day - I'm pretty sure they don't combine times from the first day into the next day because the car's class is the next day, and fairness due to course variations from weather, etc. In past years, as best I recall there has been no restriction on doing the auto-x on the 'wrong' day, I think it just meant you weren't eligible for trophying in your normal class, so that might be a consideration for you two, depending on who might want to be competing for an auto-x trophy, vs. just running the auto-x. Steven should be able to clarify - if he says no problem schedule-wise, good-to-go. Sounds workable to me, looking at the schedule, but I'm in the same boat as you, only able to consider what the schedule says.

4 days of driver's school I suppose should be the same as you both sharing a car for a weekend, just thinking about brake pad longevity - never a bad idea to be toting along extra pads I suppose.
    • Staff

steven s

Correct.
    M Roadster would autocross Friday.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

And not be able to autocross at all on Thursday?

Neither of us care about the trophies or FTD since it would be unlikely either one of us would win, especially my wife in the M Roadster since she's never autocrossed that car (I think she'd be OK with my saying that!)

If the M Roadster isn't able to run the autocross Thursday it wouldn't be that big a deal since we have some mighty fine autocrosses here in San Diego and she doesn't feel that she would be missing much (no offense to whoever is running the autocross). It's still cheaper to register for two Motorsport Packages and each add a Driving School and miss one autocross than it would be to register for one Motorsport Package with an additional Driving School and one Social Package with two additional Driving Schools, although it's only $20 difference.
    • Staff

steven s

Registering for a Motorsport Package is going to require an autocross and at least 1 driving school.
    It won't let you check out.

Social package ($285) & 2 driving schools ($295 each) = $875
    Motorsports Package ($580) & 1 additional driving school ($295) = $875

We might allow people to run on a different day for fun. That is yet to be determined.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

When we've shared the car for a weekend, both of us drove both days since we were in different run groups. We were figuring that for four days it would be better for one of us to drive two days and the other drive the other two days to give the car including the tires and brakes a little less stress each day. I'm not sure how this is going to be structured but it sounds like it may not be possible to share a car on the same day. Even if it is possible to share a car on the same day two days each is probably all we want to pay for!

I'll probably put some new pads on on her car and do a brake flush before we leave and bring some extra pads. I probably would have figured that out by August, but thanks for the reminder, it's going on my list now!
    • Staff

steven s

You can share a car. Just need to be in different run groups.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Oops, you're correct, I just found the error in my spreadsheet! It also looks like the prices were adjusted since I did my spreadsheet. It looks like it's going to be $1750 for us no matter how I choose the packages, the only thing different is whether we have 1, 2 or no autocrosses depending on the packages.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I'm glad I'm asking these questions! If we can share a car on the same day for the Driving School that opens up the possibility of doing all of our track time in 2 or 3 days then leaving on Saturday for a leisurely two-day trip back home down Coast Highway and not paying for an additional night at the Hyatt. There doesn't seem to be anything going on on Saturday besides the Driving School anyway.
    • Staff

steven s

There is the Hearst Castle.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

We've done that several times over the last 20 years but it's been a while and I could do that again! Adding it to the plans as a possibility!

MGarrison

Would it be more correct to say the M-Roadster can auto-x either day, but only be eligible for class trophies on Friday? Or is it that the M-Roadster may auto-x on Friday only?

You mean allow running the auto-x on a different day? If so, then one cannot run the auto-x on the 'wrong' day, at least for the moment?

Also - I assume Tom & his wife could share the roadster for the Friday auto-x, yes?
    • Staff

steven s

I'll leave it up to the autocross committee whether they can accommodate a registrant on a different day with the understanding that it would be for fun. It's something I would rather not encourage since it's generally been a 50/50 split between Thursday and Friday.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I've been discussing this with my wife. If we can share the car for the M autocross on Friday, then we'll both share her car for the track on Wednesday and Thursday, share my car for the autocross on Friday, and head out on Saturday morning. She said that she wanted "maximum seat time" and we would both do the autocross on Friday if possible.

Final package decision looks like two Motorsports Packages with an additional track day each, for a total of 2 track days each and one autocross each. She will give up the autocross if necessary.

03BeastCharmer

I too am the associate to my wife's primary account.

Steve - I tried to register and then register my wife as my associate, and it said I don't have permissions. Do I need to have her register us? I've historically done all the ofest registration for us.