Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Radio Code 1987 BMW 325i

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Rami912, May 8, 2008.

Rami912 guest

Hello,

I called the local BMW dealer to get the radio code for my car. They provided me with a code that is not working. Do I have to wait until it resets then try again? Can someone help or tell me how to get the radio to work?

thanks

desertVert guest

Leave the ignition on in position 1 or 2 and leave the radio on for 1 hour, then enter the code. Leaving the radio on for 1 hour will reset it so that you can enter the correct code and have it accepted. If you've tried to enter the code and it isn't working it's likely that your radio is locked down from having the wrong code entered too many times.

Rami912 guest

I have entered so many codes and started guessing. However I will try to wait for one hour and re try that code the dealership gave me. Hopefully that will work. and hopefully it wont drain my battery

Thanks

desertVert guest

Keep in mind the car and radio have to be on for the hour. It's kind of a hassle, but if you can combine it with a long drive it's not too bad.

I've also heard some people say that it only took 30 minutes to reset, but others have said it took an hour and a half. I guess it's kind of a moving target.

Good luck.

Rami912 guest

Thanks for the info. I guess it is not so bad since it will take me an hour and a half to get home so hopefully it will reset by then.

MGarrison

The first time I had to enter the radio code, somehow I was entering it wrong (was so long ago now, I forget what I was doing wrong) - anyway, just in case -

the radio code numbers just correspond to the numbered radio station preset buttons -

If the code's 52413, for instance, you press preset button labeled "5", then the button labeled "2", and so on.

If the radio's been swapped out, and they gave you the code based on the car's VIN, it's not gonna work, you'll need to pull the radio out and tell the dealer the number that's on the radio itself.

BMWCCA1

That's the only way to get the code: you can't get it by the car's VIN, you need the radio serial number.

And if you're entering it and it beeps, stop immediately and start with the first digit of the code again. Three times and you're out. You must leave the radio powered-up with the "code" message lit for one hour before you get three more tries.

mac townsend guest

Why would I need a code? (maybe this ought be a different thread?)

what if one is using a non-original radio?

My 84 325 is a theft recovery. no radio (and no locks either<G>).

MGarrison

Well mac, the anti-theft feature of stock BMW radios is that once they lose power, you have to enter a security code that is specific to that BMW radio for it to function, after it's powered up again. I don't know if there's as much black market value/demand for car radios as there used to be, but back in the 70's & 80's the frequency of break-in's to steal car radios prompted BMW to have their radios include some sort of anti-theft measure as a theft disincentive. Similarly, the car-audio industry responded w/ removable radios, detachable faceplates, etc.

I don't think there are many (if any) aftermarket radios that use a security code feature similar to BMW's, or other car manufacturers.

mac townsend guest

Oh...I was wondering if lack of this code would hamper use of the car

all the anti-theft wasn't worth much, though...the car was stolen and beaten up pretty well in spite of it all.<G>

MGarrison

nope - anti-theft radio pertains to radio function only. Some E30's have the multi-function OBC (on-board computer), which allows you to enter your own security code when you leave the car, and the car won't start until you enter it again. But that's a theft deterrent that only goes so far, and only effective IF you have the multi-function OBC, _and_ you opt to enter a code when you exit the vehicle.

desertVert guest

The OBC starter kill is a great way to leave the top down and know the car will be there when you come back. ;)

E30 Cabrio guest

You will need the serial number from the radio, as the car may no longer have the original BMW radio that the car came with, so in many cases, the VIN from the car won't match the radio code.

To obtain the serial number for the radio, you will need to pull back the two plastic tabs on the left and right side of the face of the radio. There is a special tool to unscrew the radio, but a 2 or 3mm Allen wrench will work. (Can't remember which size)

Loosen the screws, carefully pull out the radio part of the way, just enough to read the Serial Number, which I believe is on the back of the radio. You may have to disconnect the antenna connector and a few other connectors to get the radio out far enough to read the S/N

I'm on the 3rd radio in my current 88 Cabby as the one that came with the car didn't have a working AM band, the 2nd one I bought eventually lost the right channel output, and the one I have now is working well, but will eventually be replaced by a Clarion DXZ785USB HU which is all black with white buttons and 728 color adjustable display so I can match the BMW Amber and the Black with white buttons looks right at home in the E30 interior.

Most dealers will charge you a fee to look up the 5 digit radio code, but if you ask really nice, they will do it for free.

You will need to show up at the dealer and provide proof of ownership and ID as they don't give them out over the phone for obvious reasons.

Once you have the 5 digit code that is specific to your radio, punch in the code.

If it doesn't work on the first try which is likely, leave the key in the first "On" position, wait one hour minimum and try again and it should work.

I've owned a few E30's and have replaced the stock HU's on them a few times, so I'm familiar with the routine.

The lack of the anti-theft radio code won't affect anything except the ability to use the radio/cassette player.

[IMG]

Rami912 guest

Got It

called BMW gave VIN and got it over the phone .. THANKS:)